Urban center of agricultural and oil producing Kern County, California, founded by Colonel Thomas Baker in the 1850s. Famous residents: UFW founder Cesar Chavez, football great Frank Gifford, Indy driver Rick Mears, operatic baritone Lawrence Tibbett, Chief Justice Earl Warren, author Elizabeth Borton de Trevino, and musicians Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, and Korn.

Actually, the mascot of Bakersfield High School is the Drillers. The mascot of California State University, Bakersfield (CSUB) is the Roadrunner. North Bakersfield High School's mascot (North, to those that grew up there) is Twink, and we are known as the Stars. I feel that I have to mention North High, since I'm a member of the class of 1996.

As much as natives, such as myself, would like to not have Buck Owens associated with us, he has done a lot of good things for our city. Most recently, he saved the beloved Bakersfield sign from certain destruction. Once the center of town, off the Golden State Highway (now known as Union Avenue), the sign marked your entrance into Bakersfield. It can now be seen off of highway 99 on Buck Owens Boulevard (aka Pierce Road to the natives) and marks the entrance to the Crystal Palace.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.