This recipe is handy if you're already going to be cooking something in the oven, but if not this still makes a tasty and worthwhile dish.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Go through the asparagus and make groups of four, trying to make the overall thickness of the bundles even.
- Chop the onion and bell pepper into large chunks.
- Wrap the bacon over each group of four. Try to spiral them so they overlap and are not like a greasy engagement ring on Groot's finger.
- In a medium skillet, add a splash of olive oil and cook five bundles at a time on medium heat until the bacon is crispy. Watch the direction the bacon is wrapped so you don't unravel as you rotate them.
- Move all of the bundles and the onion/bell pepper chunks to a cookie sheet with a rim.
- Combine the olive oil, paprika, and black pepper in a small bowl and stir it up.
- Brush the concoction over the exposed portions of the asparagus, plus the onion and bell pepper chunks.
- Roast in the oven for around seven minutes until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is completely cooked.
These are an excellent side dish for higher-end dinners like a crown roast or prime rib. I was asked whether to use green or white asparagus, so make it green. I've never encountered the white variety. I'm making it for Thanksgiving this year. Enjoy!