A frisbee throw. The backhand is the most powerful and accurate way to throw a disc. As such, it is the most frequently used throw for hucks and pulls. Frequently a team will be forced forehand just to cut down the possibility of a backhand huck.

To throw a backhand, grip the disc with your index finger along the outside of the rim of the disc, your thumb on top, and the rest of your fingers curled into the inside of the rim. Start with your right shoulder towards your target and your weight on your left foot. Your hand should be back near your left hip. Now move your entire arm forward and shift your weight forward. Snap your wrist when your hand is just in front of your body. Timing the whole motion can be tricky, so you might want to start by breaking it down, moving just your arm and not worrying about the weight shift. With practice your arm motion should be smooth and level, and the snap should become a natural conclusion to the whole motion. For more detail, see the Ultimate Handbook, http://www.ultimatehandbook.com.

In surfing, to surf backhand is to surf with
your back to the wave. It is the opposite of
forehand.

In tennis, a backhand is the stroke, or shot position, that requires the player to hit the ball from their non-dominant side (i.e., the side opposite the arm holding the racquet).

There are two primary styles of the backhand stroke. The first is the one-handed backhand, and the second is the two-handed backhand (made somewhat famous by Chris Evert). The advantage of the one-handed backhand is extended reach and potentially greater power and spin. The disadvantage is somewhat reduced control and accuracy. The two-handed backhand generally allows for faster response and better control, at the expense of some power (This is debatable, and Chris Evert was said to have adopted a two-handed backhand to increase her power by using both arms to effect the stroke). Also, since the use of two hands on the racquet limits the "reach" of the racquet, it forces the player to move further and more precisely to ensure the ball is struck within the optimal strike zone.

Notably, Pete Sampras, one of the best players of all time, (and arguably the best player of all time) began his playing career using a two-handed backhand, and soon moved to a one-handed style because of the advantages of reach and shot flexibility. On the other hand, Andre Agassi, also arguably the best player ever, plays with a two-handed backhand.

In general, the backhand stroke is the weakest for most players, although exceptions to this abound (usually due to a poor or undeveloped forehand stroke).

And as in all human endeavors, there are exceptions to the concept of "backhand" and "forehand." There are players who, for their own reasons, have no backhand stroke, instead shifting the racquet from the left or right hand as needed and hitting a "forehand" from that arm (ambidextrous). And the converse is true, with players who only hit backhands by shifting the racquet, although this is exceedingly rare. Finally, there are players such as Monica Seles who use a two-handed stroke on both sides, nullifying the notion of "backhand vs. forehand".

Back"hand` (?), n. [Back, adv. + hand.]

A kind of handwriting in which the downward slope of the letters is from left to right.

 

© Webster 1913.


Back"hand`, a.

1.

Sloping from left to right; -- said of handwriting.

2.

Backhanded; indirect; oblique.

[R.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.