Burnaby is a city of 198,000 in the province of British Columbia, Canada. Burnaby is part of the Greater Vancouver Regional District, and occupies 98.6 km2 on the Burrard Peninsula. It is bordered on the west by the city of Vancouver, the south by the Fraser River and New Westminster, the east by Coquitlam and Port Moody, and the north by Burrard Inlet.

The city was named after Robert Burnaby (1828-1878). In 1892, it was incorporated as a municipality, and in 1992, it officially became a city. It was once considered Vancouver's backyard, but has come to be important, due in part to the Metrotown town centre, Brentwood Mall, and Simon Fraser University. The current mayor is Derek Corrigan.

The city is broken into four town centres; Metrotown, Edmonds, Hastings, and Lougheed. There are two lakes; Burnaby Lake, and Deer Lake. There are four skytrain stations on the Expo Line in Burnaby; Edmonds, Royal Oak, Metrotown, and Patterson, and six more on the Millenium Line: Gilmore, Brentwood Town Centre, Holdom, Sperling - Burnaby Lake, Production Way - University, and Lougheed Town Centre.

Burnaby is home to Simon Fraser University and the British Columbia Institute of Technology. The famous Ballard fuel cell was developed in Burnaby. All 47 public schools in Burnaby are part of School District 41.

Burnaby has a great many parks, the best of which are Barnet Marine Park, Burnaby Fraser Foreshore Park, Burnaby Lake Regional Nature Park, Burnaby Mountain Park, Central Park, Confederation Park, Deer Lake Park, and Robert Burnaby Park. The city's main sporting facility, Swangard Stadium is in Central Park, and the largest artistic centre, the Shadbolt Centre For The Arts, is in Deer Lake Park.

Burnaby has two local newspapers, the Burnaby Now, and the Burnaby News Leader.

Burnaby is also the name of a street in the city of Vancouver, a village in Ontario, a hill, a mountain range in the McKenzie Sound, an oceanic island of the north Pacific, a narrows among the Queen Charlotte Islands, and a city in St. Kitts and Nevis.

Burnaby's elevation ranges from sea level to 365m, at the top of Burnaby Mountain. A large part of the city was been developed over ravines, with a major section, known as the Big Bend, comprised largely of farmland is on alluvial plain.

I have lived in Burnaby for 16 years.
Burnaby's official flower is the red rhododendron.
Burnaby's sister cities are Gatineau, Québec, Canada; Kushiro, Hokkaido, Japan; and Mesa, Arizona, USA.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.