The British Board of Film Classification. What America and Japan don't have to put up with. They hack at a film until it bears no resemblace to the original concept. They are VERY, VERY tough on Anime.

The BBFC are a non-govenmental agency responsible for classifying films (for both cinema and video release) and computer games. Any film watched in the UK must be classified by the BBFC before it can be broadcast or released to the public.

Their address, shown at the start of every BBFC certified Film, is
   3 Soho Square W1D 3HD.
You can phone them too, if you want. Their number is 020 7440 1570

Fact: The BBFC used to be called the British Board of Film Censors (no, not censorship, censors. Read the BBFC's website - which is listed at the bottom of this writeup - if you don't believe me.) It was changed at some point in the 1900s. Sorry, I have yet to find out the exact date.

History of BBFC classifications

1913
  • C - A film especially suitable for children
  • A - A film more aimed at adults (although still suitable for children, after all, no film which was not 'clean and wholesome and above suspicion' should be given the sanction of any certificate at all." ).
1932 Added...
  • H - Advisory that indicates horror
1951 Added...
  • X - (over 16) "films which, while not being suitable for children, are good adult entertainment and films which appeal to an intelligent public"
1970 A new system...
  • U - Universal, suitable for all
  • A - Advisory. Admits children over 5, but warns parents of unsuitable material for under 14s
  • AA - Over 14 only
  • X - Over 18 only
1982 A new system...
    Uc - Universal, aimed at young children
  • U - Universal, suitable for all
  • PG - Parental Guidance ""implies both guidance to parents about the nature of the film, and guidance by parents of their children's viewing."
  • 15 - Over 15 only
  • 18 - Over 18 only
  • R18 - Restricted distribution, cinemas and sex shops, admission over 18 only. (See the full details at R18.)

1989

  • New 12 category (for over 12s only) added for films at cinema.

1994

  • Use of 12 category extended to include videos.
2002
  • 12 category changed to 12A certificate for cinema. This new certificate allows children under 12 to be admitted to the cinema only with an accompanying adult. Video titles retain the regular 12 certificate.


BBFC website: www.bbfc.co.uk

Of course the Americans, too, have to put up with 'censorship'. They call it the MPAA

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.