<blink> Author's Message </blink>

When Woody Allen started making movies, he pushed the edge. Walked up to the thin line the MPAA dictated between art and pornography, and had everyone dancing the Can Can. For 1965, his script for his first full-length movie What's New, Pussycat? was pretty risque. The movie, that is. The title song, sung by Burt Bacharach, is way over-the-top camp. And sexist, but we're not here to talk about Swinging Sixties pre-ERA sexism in movies.

Neither are we here to talk about the sexual innuendos, or the suspicion that a scene featuring acres of actress Paula Prentiss's skin was excised at the last moment. Or the performance of Woody, Peter Sellars, or the injoke Richard Burton's cameo set up that was finally resolved in Casino Royale.

For most of the movie, Peter O'Toole (better known for his title role in Laurence of Arabia) portrays a playboy who can't decide which sexy starlet to have unprotected sex with. Finally, he decides to settle down with his fiancee and makes a speech about true love. As he talks, an animated border flashes, "Author's Message."

Depending on your tastes, this comes across as either a brilliant artistic cry against heavyhanded censorship, or feeble attempt at humor that falls flat.

<blink> Author's Message </blink>

sources:
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0059903
http://www.neoolympia.net/otoole/imghtml/pussycat.htm
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s83pussycat.html

Yes, I know there is no <blink> tag in Everything2...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.