A friend in his 30s was working on my car the other day. "Are you immunized?" I ask. "No." he says. "I wish you'd get immunized," I say, "Also, I can't ride in the car with you because if I get the Delta variant, I'll probably die." He responds, "I hate doing what other people tell me to do." "Oh," I say, "Oppositional defiant, just like me. Fine. Don't get the vaccine."

Two days later I text. "Don't get the vaccine today. Or tomorrow."

I hear back. He got vaccinated the day I sent the text. I don't know if it was me saying don't do it, or me getting out of the car and staying a good ten feet away after that. Please don't kill me, not today, ok?

Maybe we should try it nation wide. "DON'T GET VACCINATED. DON'T DO IT TODAY. OR TOMORROW."

Unvaccinated thirty year olds are getting really sick and getting intubated and dying. One in five hospitals in the US now is 95% full, on divert. I used to heave a sigh of relief when I was in residency and we were on divert. That meant no admissions until beds opened back up. We are full. But one in five is really bad. Virginia Mason in Seattle is on divert. Our rural county has more covid infections than we've had the whole time, mostly unvaccinated. About 15% vaccinated. We are starting to see the breakthrough infections, around 8 months after the vaccine. Makes sense, because the vaccine riles up the immune system for 8 months and then quiets down. I am 8 months out, no immune system, high bleeping risk. The head of the heart lung bypass part of Virgina Mason was interviewed. "We have been full for ten months (?or a year) and have turned away over 150 patients." So heart lung bypass could save lives in covid. But it takes round the clock two ICU nurses and the ICU nurses are burning out, quitting, dying. If they get too tired and stressed, their immune systems don't work, they are more at risk for covid and they could die. The nurses and the doctors KNOW this. So.... how many unimmunized people are you willing to die for? Just curious.

Kids have been at home, quarantined, small groups. So then they started school or daycare or even a few more playdates and hello: when you get them together, they trade viruses. There is an outbreak of RSV and other viruses. RSV won't kill most kids but some babies need the hospital and it can kill premies. And the beds, remember, are full.

Now the AAFP is calling for emergency authorization for kids age 2-11 to get the vaccine. Because they are dying too and there bloody won't be room in the hospitals at this rate. Or well, you can build a tent, but if you don't have any ICU nurses, the tent is not too helpful.

For the governors saying "No mask mandate at school," yeah, well, I think they should refuse the vaccine and refuse treatment and refuse intubation and refuse oxygen.

Meanwhile, your favorite lizard is hiding under the bed. Roll up the sidewalks, lock the doors, I am sorry not to be useful but I am not useful dead. I could telemedicine if our area gets shorthanded enough. I suppose I should call the hospital and say that. They aren't that desperate... yet. We have four ventilators last I checked. And 32,000 people in the county and we are the only hospital. Bummer.

I am in a physician mothers Facebutt group. The stories are getting grimmer and grimmer. A physician put up the list of hospitals she called to try to transfer a patient: over 30. All no. Another is in North Carolina and got a call from Texas to transfer a patient. But... they were on divert. No.

Take care. Don't get your immunization if you are against it. Whatever.


https://news.yahoo.com/mississippi-covid-surge-hospitals-thomas-dobbs-tate-reeves-masks-vaccines-214112289.html

There is a restaurant that I like. At the entrance, there is a sign saying "NO MASK, NO ENTRY". The security men at the door sometimes wear the masks and other times have them on their chins. But here is the really stupid thing, they let you in if you are merely holding a mask. Otherwise, you won't be allowed to enter except if you buy one from the pack being sold at the door. You can buy it and refuse to wear it. Inside, rarely is anyone wearing a mask. Even people who wear them take them off to eat. It is not only stupid, but annoying.

As at today, Nigeria allegedly has had approximately 183,000 cases and 2,229 deaths. I say allegedly because we do not have the data collection infrastructure of better governed countries. Under normal circumstances, not all deaths are reported to the government and there are many people who live their entire lives without the government being aware of them. So, it is most likely that the numbers above are lower than reality. Also we were never really strict about social distancing, quarantines and the like. So, I am pretty sure that the cases are much higher. Regardless, Nigeria is pretty blasé about the whole thing. It is a disease with low morbidity and mortality. While not dismissing the experts' view, many people; myself included, think the reaction has been out of proportion to the danger.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.