One of two chambers in the upper part of the heart which receives blood from another part of the body and pumps it into a ventricle (another part of the heart).

From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

A"tri*um (&?;), n.; pl. Atria (&?;). [L., the fore court of a Roman house.]

1. (Arch.)

(a)

A square hall lighted from above, into which rooms open at one or more levels.

(b)

An open court with a porch or gallery around three or more sides; especially at the entrance of a basilica or other church. The name was extended in the Middle Ages to the open churchyard or cemetery.

2. (Anat.)

The main part of either auricle of the heart as distinct from the auricular appendix. Also, the whole articular portion of the heart.

3. (Zoöl.)

A cavity in ascidians into which the intestine and generative ducts open, and which also receives the water from the gills. See Ascidioidea.

 

© Webster 1913


A"tri*um, n. (Anat.)

A cavity, entrance, or passage; as, the atrium, or atrial cavity, in the body wall of the amphioxus; an atrium of the infundibula of the lungs, etc.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.