SCENE TWO

(Lights go off on the OMP while they rise on the mainstage. ROSE and GEORGE are doing everything they can to be adorable with each other. GEORGE hands ROSE a flower from the grass. She aaws.)

ROSE: (Rambling.) This is just like those flowers you got me for Valentine’s Day last year. Remember those? I put them in a vase on my kitchen counter and they managed to live for a month. A full month. I smiled every time I saw them. Those flowers made my day, every day for a full month. Do you remember them?

GEORGE: (Slight pause.) Nope.

ROSE:  Well... I do! I’m going to put this in exactly the same spot as I did the ones from Valentine’s Day. In the same vase and everything. Maybe it’ll live as long.

GEORGE: Maybe it will.

ROSE: That was almost a year ago. Wow. (Pause.) Hey, George?

GEORGE: Yeah?

ROSE: Do you remember what else happened almost a year ago?

GEORGE: How much trouble will I be in if I say no? (ROSE shoots him a glare.) Y-yes?

ROSE: Well?

GEORGE: (Slowly.) Our anni-ver-sa-ry?

ROSE: Yes! (GEORGE flashes his “oh-thank-god” face.) Are we going to do something?

GEORGE: Well, of course we’re going to do something.

ROSE: Oh, that’s so sweet. What did you have in mind?

GEORGE: (Pause.) I got us seats at a funeral nearby.

ROSE: (Horrified.) What? That… that’s…

GEORGE: Not really, but before you comment on anything I come up with, remember what the alternative is.

ROSE: Anything you come up with?

GEORGE: (Beat. He’s been caught.) That I came up with?

ROSE: You didn’t even think of it, did you. We've been dating for a year now and you forgot all about it.

GEORGE: How much trouble will I be in if I say yes? (ROSE glares again.) Alright, how’s this sound: I’ll put together a big plan for a special night. The afternoon before our anniversary, we’ll go out for coffee and I’ll tell you everything. That way you have veto power and I can’t screw it up as badly as I would otherwise.

ROSE: That sounds... fine. I’ll see you at Kopi this Friday, then?

GEORGE: Sure.

(ROSE exits. GEORGE waits then does a big, overly dramatic sigh and slouches on the bench while lights go to blackout.)


Previous | Scene Directory | Next

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.