The ridiculously over-the-top title of White Zombie's second major label album in 1995, Astro-Creep: 2000, Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions of the Electric Head was the album that really broke the band out into the mainstream radio. In an interesting twist of fate, Astro-Creep was released just when "Thunder Kiss '65" and "Welcome To The Planet Motherfucker/Psychoholic Slag" from their previous album, La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume 1 started getting playtime on MTV (Beavis and Butthead especially loved the latter song).

"It was pretty weird to finally begin working on the new album. Writing songs on the road is impossible so we were basically starting from point zero. To avoid outside influences we decided to just lock ourselves away and write songs non-stop." - Rob Zombie

The album is classic White Zombie material - from twisted, psychotic ramblings to a dark, sex-obsessed world laced with B-movie violence and trademark unreality, Astro-Creep would introduce a sort of music that people had never heard before. Frontman Rob Zombie had always said his sources were junked-out cartoons, comic books, and B-movies when he was growing up - the demented culmination of their influence was glorified in this twisted album.

This is not to say that the album was bad - not at all. While fans of the band may insist that La Sexorcisto was better, few would argue the undeniable appeal of this dark yet humorous album. While Zombie was striving for a kind of horror film feel, musically, they were also going for the cheesy B-movie horror film - as with most good music Rob Zombie has produced, the music often pokes fun at its own influences. You can't help but smile the first time you listen to "El Phantasmo and The Chicken-Run Blast-O-Rama".

The album also demonstrated a polished, industrial feel that La Sexorcisto did not have. Musically matured (many would raise an eyebrow at this term applied to the band), White Zombie had done more than just create Volume 2 of La Sexorcisto. The only lasting legacy of Astro-Creep is the hit "More Human than Human", a radio mainstay even today.

  1. Electric Head, Pt. 1 (The Agony)
  2. Super-Charger Heaven
  3. Real Solution #9
  4. Creature Of The Wheel
  5. Electric Head, Pt. 2 (The Ecstasy)
  6. Grease Paint And Monkey Brains
  7. I, Zombie
  8. More Human Than Human
  9. El Phantasmo and The Chicken-Run Blast-O-Rama
  10. Blur The Technicolor
  11. Blood, Milk And Sky

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.