Asleep at the wheel...

When you yawn so much that you can't see straight...

When having the music turned up and windows rolled down isn't enough to keep your eyes open...

When you play a fun game which involves only one rule: See how long you can blink and keep your eyes shut without falling alseep while staying on the road...

When you realise you can't remember driving for the last 20 seconds, or 2 minutes, but there you are, swerving slightly and feeling more tired than before...

When you wake up to see a truck coming straight at you and you have no time to brake, and have no time left to get back on your side of the road...

When it's too late, and you should have had a nap before you left for your trip.

Asleep At The Wheel is a western swing band which has won nine grammies, and has been active since 1970. They began in West Virginia and on their first big show, they opened for Hot Tuna and Alice Cooper in Washington DC. Three years later, at the request of Doug Sahm and Willie Nelson, the band moved to house their headquarters in Austin, Texas which is still their home base today. They have performed on the television series Austin City Limits a record ten times. In 1977 they were voted as best Country and Western band by Rolling Stone. They have toured with Bob Dylan and appeared in a film with Meat Loaf called Roadies and have shared stages with Vince Gill, Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris.

Over the years, members of the band have been many. Presently their roster includes Ray Benson, Jason Roberts, David Sanger, David Miller, John Whitby, Haydn Vitera, and Eddie Rivers. Though the names have changed, the band has consistently been one of the most entertaining, feel-good party bands ever to grace concert arenas and opera houses. Some of the songs they're best known for include One O’Clock Jump, The Letter That Johnny Walker Read, and Choo Choo Ch’Boogie.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.