Located in the Berkshire town of Ascot, this racecourse is most famously known for its summer flat racing carnival, Royal Ascot including Ladies' Day.

Traditionally a three day carnival held in June, now extended to five in recent years, Royal Ascot is perhaps the largest event on the UK flat racing calendar. Famously attended by the Queen, Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, races such as The Gold Cup, the Prince of Wales' Stakes, the Queen Anne Stakes and the Royal Hunt Cup are held at this time.

However, racing is held at Ascot throughout the year, 23 racedays in total, comprising both flat and National Hunt (jumps) racing at different times of the year. Flat racing is held on the outer track while steeplechase and hurdles on the inner. All racing tracks at Ascot are turf. Other major carnivals, besides Royal Ascot include Diamond Day (July), Blue Square Shergar Cup (August) and the Ascot Festival (September).

The best way to travel to Ascot Racecourse is probably to take a train, as driving can involve congestion and delays. From London Waterloo the journey is approximately 55 minutes and from Putney approximately 45 minutes. The track itself is about 10 minutes walk from the station – just follow the crowd!

There are three main public enclosures at Ascot – the Members’ Enclosure, the Grandstand & Paddock and the Silver Ring. Each area has a separate dress code which can be roughly summarised as follows:

Membersjacket and tie required. Jeans, shorts and trainers are not permitted.
Grandstand & Paddock – smart shorts and jeans are permitted. No bare tops or sleeveless shirts.
Silver Ring- No dress restrictions

For some lesser meetings tickers for the Members’ Enclosure may be purchased in advance by the general public. However, unless intending to book a table in one of the restaurants, there is no discernable advantage to spending a day in the Members’. The Grandstand & Paddock enclosure is the best value for money with a vibrant bookmakers ring and a number of good options for fast food (which cannot then be taken into the Members’ even by badge holders).

A day at Ascot is certainly a worthwhile outing and indeed a pleasant way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Statistics

Flat – Right-handed triangle, galloping and stiff, slightly undulating with easy turns. Just over 1 mile 6 furlongs round, with a 2.5 furlong run in. Straight mile and round mile. All races up to 7 furlongs on straight course.
National Hunt (Jumps) – Right-handed galloping track. 1 mile 6 furlongs circuit running mostly uphill which provides a test of stamina.
Effect of draw – No advantage.

Ascot Berkshire, SL5 7JN

Information and bookings: +44 1344 876876

More information at http://www.ascot.co.uk

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.