The Arrow of Light is the highest award attainable in the Cub Scouting program. It is given to Second-Year Webelos, before they "bridge" over to become Boy Scouts. The badge itself is the only piece of Cub Scout insignia that follows them to their Boy Scout uniform, symbolic of their previous Scouting experiences following them on their new journey.

The requirements to attain the Arrow of Light are as follows (taken in part from usscouts.org):

  1. Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.
  2. Show your knowledge of the requirements to become a Boy Scout by doing all of these:
  3. Earn five more activity badges in addition to the three you already earned for the Webelos badge. The total of eight activity badges must include:
    • Fitness (already earned for the Webelos badge)
    • Citizen
    • Readyman
    • At least one from the Outdoor Group
    • At least one from the Mental Skills Group
    • At least one from the Technology Group
    • Two more of your choice
    • See page 22 for the activity badge groups.
  4. With your Webelos den, visit at least
    • one Boy Scout troop meeting,
    • and one Boy Scout-oriented outdoor activity.
  5. Participate in a Webelos overnight campout or day hike.
  6. After you have completed all five of the above requirements, and after a talk with your Webelos den leader, arrange to visit, with your parent or guardian, a meeting of a Boy Scout troop you think you might like to join. Have a conference with the Scoutmaster. Complete and turn in a "Join Boy Scouting" application to the Scoutmaster during the conference.



The badge itself is a blue rectangle with a thin yellow arrow, with straight rays of light coming off of the top of it. I believe that it is typically worn underneath the rank pocket for Boy Scouts and above it for Cub Scouts.

Note: the requirements are current as of the 1998 publishing of the Webelos Scout Handbook)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.