Armscor, The Armaments Corporation of South Africa, was in the bad old days of Apartheid, South African government's military supply company. Nobody wanted to sell the boers guns, ammo, artilery, aircraft parts and armoured cars and so they made their own.

Some of the kit was good enough to sell, and brought in foreign exchange at the expense of death elsewhere.

The web site is http://www.armscor.co.za/ This must be the first web site that I have seen where 35mm AA GUNS are on sale.

If you have ever seen SA police or military vehicles such as a ratel in action (i.e. any footage of a good SA riot from the late 1980s), you have seen some of their hardware.

The company is still in business, though less well funded, less high-profile, more discreet, more diversified and more diplomatic than before. They still sell guns to people who then go and fight bloody civil wars with them. Things change, but only up to to a point.

In Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series, Armscor is one of Earth's largest multinational corporations. I hope we never see that day.

Armscor is also a Philippine firearm and ammunition manufacturer. Not related to the one mentioned by StrawberryFrog. They have been around since 1952 and is still owned by the Tuason family. Some of their more popular products are the Charles Daly line of 1911 style pistols, .22 pellet air guns, 12 gauge shotguns, and .38 special caliber revolvers. The shotguns, Winchester clones, and revolvers, Colt clones, are used by all the security agencies in the Philippines.

Armscor also sells ammunition, both in complete cartridge form and in separate components. Common calibers are .22lr, .380 acp, 9mmx19, .38 special, .40 auto, and good old .45 ACP.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.