To answer this question you first need to figure out the qualifications for being Christian. The first thing to come to mind would be the simple, "Do you believe in Christ?" Or maybe something like, "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is your personal Savior?" Anyway you phrase this question the answer to the WU is "yes". The offical name of the Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".

But this version of the question is much to simple. You see, Mormons don't believe in the same Jesus Christ as other Christians. This is where things start getting a bit fuzzy. For one thing, Mormons don't belive that Jesus and God are the exact same person (see Trinity). Mormons also throw in confusing bits like the God-Man Theory.

Some people argue that Mormons are not Christian because they don't believe you are saved by faith alone, or simply saved by Jesus altogether. The general Mormon belief is that Jesus saved everyone from physical death, and that without Christ you can't overcome Spiritual death. BUT, you will be judged based on your works.

It's worth noting that many people break Christianity into two branches: Catholicism and Protestantism. Mormonism doesn't fall into either branch. If considered Christian, Mormonism would need to be a third branch, so it's just easier to put them into a group by themselves.

Ok, now here's what confuses me. Most arguments against Mormons being Christian hang on defining the characteristics of Christ and claiming the Mormon Christ doesn't fit these characteristics. It seems that most schisms of Christianity differ on this point, at least to some degree. The Catholic Christ is certainly much different than any other flavor of Christ. I guess the Mormon Christ is just a little too different.


Note: Our Youth Group was actually asked not to attend a Christian Retreat once, since, it turns out, we're not actually Christians.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.