An opera in three acts by composer Richard Strauss and librettist Hugo von Hofmannsthal. First performed
in Dresden on 1 July 1933. Upon its release, critics accused Strauss and von Hofmannsthal of cashing in on earlier success of a previous joint effort, Der Rosenkavalier, using similar themes and a Vienna setting for "Arabella." The opera was the final collaboration between Strauss and von Hofmannsthal.

"Arabella" is one of Georgette Heyer's most popular novels. First published in 1949, it was one of the class of novels she wrote to satisfy her demanding readers. It was and is very popular and The Franklin Mint even made a figurine of the heroine in her ballgown.

The heroine is Arabella Tallant, eldest daughter of a country parson and she is one of the loveliest people ever to grace a Heyer novel. This book is set after Mr Brummell is gone to France, possibly about 1820. Unlike most of historical Heyers, this book is quite concerned with social conditions of the lower classes. Arabella, during the course of the book, becomes involved in the plights of an under maid, a chimney sweep's boy and a stray dog.

The hero is Mr Beaumaris, a fictional successor to Mr Brummell's place at the top of the fashion foodchain. He is an "Avon Type" hero, but not very cynical on the scale of Heyer heroes. He is also known to be well read, spending an evening discussing Homer (the Greek writer) with Arabella's father.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.