rewind | forward

My family and I have been very busy lately. Besides my toddler's 4 therapy sessions each week (2 physical, 1 occupational, 1 speech), we've been spending a lot of time at Wickham Park here in Melbourne, FL. The first week in April is the annual reunion of the Vietnam Veterans of Brevard County.

One of the three miniature touring replicas of the Vietnam Memorial Wall was set up for this event. Monday was the first time I had ever seen it. I was emotionally overwhelmed.

I lived most of my life in and around the Washington, D.C. Metro area and never had the heart to see the big wall. In veiwing this small one I now know why. In matters such as this size is relative, yet the reality remains the same. The names inscribed upon its face weren't there for getting high scores in Quake. These were men and women who lost their lives in a situation of utter horror that defies rationalization. Each of these lost lives was someone's relative, neighbor or friend.

There's still so much more I wanted to write about this, but the words escape me right now. However, I do wish to include a quote I happened upon a few weeks ago...

    "As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its fascination. When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular." - Oscar Wilde
so now i'm having my morning coffee at work. it has become more and more apparent that people think i'm eccentric. i don't know why, but they think it's odd of me to keep my office so neat. granted, the rest of the developers have to climb over mountains of stacked hawaiian punch cans to find their door, whereas my office is always tidy. but still. it's not weird.

it's chilly out, wish it'd get warmer, but all in good time. i think today will be a good day.
3:59PM - i have been marvelously productive today without having had to do much at all. somehow, though, i managed to accomplish all the things i should have accomplished both this week AND last. and: i'm still in a good mood.

so. one more hour of work, go home, walk the dog, quick bong hit, then on to martial arts practice.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.