Time for another update, I suppose.

My part-time job is going well. At the end of my first week, the friends who got me in asked me what I thought of it. I told them it's the most casual, laid-back position I've ever had. I can drink coffee in the work room. I get to wear whatever I want, even blue jeans. There's nobody hovering over my shoulder. I can go for a break pretty much whenever I want. If I show up to work late (which I haven't yet), it's not that big a deal, provided it doesn't happen often. People tell me "thank you" instead of "why didn't you finish that yet?" My friends seemed surprised by my response, which tells me that they've never dealt with a Boss From Hell before. That's probably a good thing, for their sakes and for mine. I need to be around kindhearted people, the type who still find rude behaviour shocking.

I made the mistake of contacting my ex-fiance. He ignored me, of course. That's how he deals with things, by which I mean people. He ignores them for weeks or months at a time. That was one of his flaws. He wouldn't communicate. After a while, I got tired of trying to communicate with him. It shouldn't be up to just me to make sure we talk things through. By the end of the relationship, I had given up. I knew something was wrong. He insisted things were fine. I pretended to believe him. People can't be forced into honesty. Not without a torture chair and a skilled interrogator. I should have been the one to leave him. I didn't, obviously. My self-esteem had eroded too much by that point for me to do anything but blame myself and cry on a weekly basis. 

Anyway.

Back to my new life that I'm trying to piece together. I like my new job so far. I got a free sweatshirt due to a minor flaw that made it unsellable. I stayed late on Thursday, since they're swamped with work and still understaffed. I'm going in tomorrow, even though working on Easter Monday is optional. I like to keep busy, and I like making money. My writing "career" is on the backburner. I'm trying to focus more on writing what I want to write, instead of writing for money. I'm flirting with the idea of writing a book. I just said "no" to a writing assignment that doesn't pay much. Screw that. 

In other news, it looks like I lost 3 pounds. The running must be working. I've also added biking to the mix, now that the snow has melted again. I biked into town yesterday to get groceries and gardening gloves. I ended up with seeds, too: leeks and cat grass. Roundtrip, that ended up being 5.90 km. Not bad. So long as it's not raining tomorrow morning, I'll bike into work. Take that, belly fat! 

Tonight we're going to my brother's girlfriend's parents' place for Easter dinner. They're doing a "cold food" theme, so I've decided to make veggie rolls, the kind made with rice paper wrappers. It will take me forever to make them, but as a vegetarian, I would prefer to eat something besides salad for dinner.

Not much else to report. An old friend is supposed to be moving back here soon. I haven't seen her since high school. I heard she was living out west for a while, working at berry farms and wherever else while dealing with a drug addiction. I hope she's feeling better now. She and her boyfriend broke up, so that's the main reason she's moving back, so I hear. She may come out with us on our ladies nights. That will be weird. I also got back in touch with another high school friend, someone I saw more recently. She lives in town but hasn't made it out to any ladies nights due to different health issues that keep coming up for her. She recently got a concussion at work. She's also pregnant with her third child, which I hadn't thought would ever happen. She had her first two kids when she was 18-20, and she wasn't too pleased about those pregnancies. She's happier about this one, which is good. I hope she's happy. I just want people to be happy.

After dealing with those asshole in-laws (who won't be my in-laws now — silver lining!!), I have a better appreciation for the other people in my life. I don't want to be that asshole who judges people for what they do for a living or who they date or whether they want kids or not. Maybe it's ironic or hypocritical of me to judge judgemental people, to say I want to be better than them. Well, sometimes we need a foil. Looking at them reminds me of who I want to be, who I try to be. The more time I spent in that environment, the more bitter and mean-spirited I could feel myself becoming. No wonder they're so nasty. They don't know how else to be. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost. 

It's time to make the veggie rolls. They had better turn out good.

Today's story is brought to you by the letter N, because N is for the Narcisstic people I have met in my life. It starts about a month ago, when I was doing the online potential dating thing and swiped right on someone who came across as cute and casual. We started chatting, and I have never added anyone on Snapchat before, but I allowed myself to be persuaded into doing it for him because I wanted to make him happy. Initially he paid a lot of attention to me, and even made a joke about withdrawing it. I joked back, thinking it amusing at the time. We went along and eventually agreed to meet after I got off of work one Friday. My boss let me leave early that day, everything was falling into place. I had cleaned and organized things at my place, and that's where I sat the rest of the night.

I didn't hear from him until Sunday evening. I forgave him. Family was important to him. I had removed him from Snapchat so he sent me a text. Things went on, and I noticed a pattern of getting close, talking without really saying anything, I made all sorts of excuses for him, and bought into the ones that he fed me. Every person in my life that I talked to about him expressed concern. Looking back I can see that they really were being my friends even as I kept trying to tell myself that there were reasons that he was the way that he was. He wasn't feeling well one day, the next he had an after work function. There were times when he said he was going to drive up and see me, but they were spur of the moment ideas, not planned date type outings.  I told him that his drinking made me uncomfortable, during our getting back together conversation he said that he felt like I was going to judge him every time he cracked open a beer, and I said that I might.

It was me who suggested a ceasefire. He hadn't apologized, and I think I knew that on some level he wasn't going to either. He went away for the weekend, and since he had told me that in advance, I didn't expect to hear from him much. But I did. That was confusing, and probably how he works. Yesterday at work I made the decision to cut him loose. I once again removed him from Snapchat, and blocked his number on my phone. But then I started second guessing myself. I hadn't heard from him in a few days, but that wasn't anything he had done that was actually wrong. I added him back, unblocked his number, and saw that he had sent me a Snapchat several hours ago. It was a picture designed to make me feel sorry for him, and that's exactly what happened. We stayed up late, and by the end of the conversation I was thorougly confused once again.

I did not feel like going to church this morning. I do not feel like going over to see my mom or any other family members. I really don't want to do anything other than sleep. Work has not been going well. My interview was a lot of fun, but my base salary would be cut if I took that job. I still want a condo, and there will be a delay in acquiring that if I take another job. They don't really need another sales person, for once I am interviewing when I already have a job, and I am better at it and recognize more of my potential than I did initially, but I have fallen into the trap that I tried so hard for so many years to avoid. TV is addictive, and I just want to sit and watch it rather than doing anything else when it is going. It's time for an action plan, and I don't really know what to do or where to go, but I have several ideas.

I need to take a vacation. It does not matter that I am concerned about the money. I will never have enough money. It doesn't matter that I don't feel as if I don't have enough time, or don't know where to go, or what I will eat. These are all just excuses. Even if all I do is get into my car and start driving, that will be enough. I am still reading; Getting Things Done, and it's still good despite my slow attempts to adopt these principles, and inconsistent application of the precepts inside. It's more helpful than not, and I can see progress in the form of better paper collection, processing, storage, and retrieval. I have always been able to see the future, as it is possible, not necessarily as it will be tomorrow, the next day, one month from now, or further on down the line.

Listening to; The Five Love Languages of Children has been a rewarding if painful and difficult experience. I feel as if some deep and primal things are happening, and it isn't easy to take in everything, and try to apply it to the past forty-four years of my life on this planet. Last week I wrote out small cards for each of my children. My youngest left hers here, and I found the one from my oldest laying on the ground, but there were tears in her eyes after she read it. I have never felt loved, and now I know why. More importantly, I have learned what I can do about which admittedly is the much harder part. I have blamed myself and others, I want to keep writing to my children, those cards were a small yet critical first step, and I am proud of myself for taking it when I could have kept avoiding my responsibility to them as a parent.

I'm grieving over lost childhood moments, of the time I spent typing when I could have been bonding with and nurturing them. I think that their dad has a lot of narcissistic tendencies, I mainly identify these people by how they attempt, and often succeed, in making me feel bad when they were the ones who did something wrong, or didn't do something that was right. I need people to spend time with me. I need words of encouragement and affirmation. I need hugs, I need a pat on the back literally and figuatively, and I need people to do things for me. It took me a while, but I believe that acts of service is the primary way I understand love, and I don't have many of those people in my life right now. So, knowing that I need people to do things for me, and knowing that I can't count on many friends or family members, I'm going to do the next best thing. Hire or pay people to make up for this lack in my life.

It's partially on me to communicate this to others, and I need to be braver about telling them even as I fear the rejection that this may bring, but this is imperative for healing. If I do what I have always done, I'm going to get the things I have always gotten. In a strange way, a lack of self esteem holds me back. I tell myself that I'm not worthy of having a cleaning service come over once or twice a month, or that if I ask my mom to do something, anything, for me, she either won't, or it won't be done up to my standards. I have different standards than she does, and that's been hard for us in the past. I need my children to step up, but they need love too, love as it can be expressed in all five of the love languages. Gifts, acts of service, physical touch, words of encouragement, and quality time.

When I took the quiz; acts of service was my highest score, I think I received a 12 there, and gifts was my lowest with a score of 0. I think what can be confusing to some is that there can be overlap so something like a massage can fall under physical touch, acts of service, quality time, and a gift, as well as words of encouragement if the person giving it couples that with everything else. Perhaps that is why they are so powerful and meaningful to me, transforming in a way that few other things in my life are. I relish them, I cherish them, I spend a lot on them, I encourage others to get them, but they are temporary, and often I use them as a substitute. A way to fill some of these gaping holes in my heart and life. I do things for other people, and I think that sometimes that doesn't come across as love.

I could write much more, but I am beyond exhausted, and don't really feel better for having written this even though I'm glad that I did. More and better sleep will help.

God bless,

Jess

P.S. Happy Easter...

j

Today your friend Behr (your friend Behr) is having dinner with a family he just met. This isn't unusual but this will be the first time that all will live after the meal is complete. One might get hit by a car (this is true) but I won't be involved. I am controlling my kill instinct which tends to be very instinctive in nature. I once slept with a woman who worked in the back of a plant shop but that was a long time ago (back in the 1970s when everything was exactly perfect in America).

I escaped from the Bedlam Psychiatric Hospital but not because I was trying to. What I was trying to do was to get up and go down to the kitchen and get a yogurt and a hard-boiled egg (I have adopted a fundamentalist vegan doctrine and recommend it for good health and to combat climate change). Everything was really quiet and I was up late compared to when the other patients get up. Then I saw the bodies of all the hospital lunch ladies were all over the floor along with several patients. All had been torn apart and gutted as if from within their own bodies which is grotesque if you really think about it. Usually this would give me an erection but I am reformed so it did not which makes me the ideal boyfriend for you or your daughter(s).

Call me.

After looking over this awful slaughter in the dining room, I looked towards the doorway to the kitchen and saw, painted in blood above the door was some vital information..

If you're hungry eat Steve

You can understand how disconcerting (word dannye taught me years ago) this would be for a regular person, but I have been hardened by years of torturing and murdering thousands of victims over the course of 70 years, so I mostly shrugged at this, BUT now that I care about people, I crouched down, made sure the cameras were on me, and squeezed out some tears. Half of the fluid that came out of my eyes was blood.

Inside the kitchen I saw Steve, the cook, naked on the counter. Three of the more depraved patients were chewing on his flesh and he was still alive and begging me to help him.

Truth be told, he was better off dead at that point so I let them have their way with him. A man can't live for more than a couple days while being eaten. I wasn't impressed.

After that I walked out through the front door (which was now unlocked and open) and after stepping over more bodies, I put on my sunglasses with the move I copied from beloved actor David Caruso in his Emmy Award winning potrayal of some guy in hit television series CSI: Miami (cancelled for good reasons). Then I walked down the road looking for some house with an unlocked front door so I could fix me some dinner (without killing or hurting anyone - although I still like to terrify them with what my erstwhile former lover Chopper used to call my "Aphex Twin look" which is a reference I do not understand).

This family has now shit themselves twice but they are fixing me dinner for the second night in a row. Good on them.

My friends.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.