The person most surprised at this cake is the cook, because I know what it looked like when it went into the oven.

It's a batter, with some dry ingredients scattered over it and then a boiling mixture poured over those. It isn't stirred, but somehow in some magical way, maybe even oven elves, while it's in the oven it turns upside-down so there's a fruity, crusty, gooey layer on top and a pudding on the bottom.

And it's good!


Apple Pudding Cake

Serves 10 to 12

Preheat oven to 325º. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
In a frying pan over low-medium heat, toast the pecans until they begin to color and become fragrant, about 7 minutes. Pour into a dish and set aside.
In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Sift together the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour and beat into the sugar mixture.
Fold in the chopped apples and the nuts. The mixture will be stiff.
Spread into the prepared pan. (Don't bake it yet!)
In a medium saucepan, stir together the brown sugar and the 2 tablespoons of flour. Add the butter, vanilla, and water, stir and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil gently for 3 minutes, stirring often. Pour this hot sauce evenly over the batter. Do not stir. Bake 1 hour.
Serve warm, with whipped cream if desired.

Per serving: 520 calories, 76 g carbohydrates, 4 g protien, 23 g fat (6 g saturated) 46 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 43 mg calcium, 3 g dietary fibre.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.