Digitally animated feature produced by Deamworks SKG. Antz was the first CGI film produced by Dreamworks (the second is Shreck). Antz featured a script of witty dialouge and employed some of the top talent in Hollywood for voice acting, including Woody Allen, Christopher Walken, Gene Hackman and Sharon Stone.

The film's focus is on a neurotic worker ant Named "Z" (appropriatley voiced by Woody Allen) who laments -

"I think everything must go back to the fact that I had a very anxious childhood. You know, my--my mother never had time for me. You know, when you're--when you're the middle child in a family of five million, you don't get any attention."

- in the films opening. This sets the tone for the whole film as we watch Z bumble into becoming a war hero and eventually saving the colony from the evil plans of General Mandible.

The movie was released just prior to the release of A Bug's Life by Disney/Pixar and the similarities between the stories inspired much controversy (A Bug's Life also features and indepenent thinking ant who saves his colony from destruction). It's easy to see, however, that the French Documentry Microcosmos by Claude Nuridsany and Marie Pérennou probably inspired both films with it's release in 1996.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.