Origins

The Anglo-Nubian goat (Capra hircus) is probably the result of many years of cross-breeding between traditional Eastern goats of Indian or African origin imported in 1850, and English goats. Nubia itself is a region of North-Eastern Africa. By 1890, the cross-breeding had produced a goat sufficiently distinct from its forebears that it was classified as a seperate breed.

Characteristics

Anglo-Nubians are hornless and short-haired, and are often described as having a "Roman nose". Ears are typically long and pendulous, and set low-down on the skull. The most common colour by far is white, but brown, tan and black coats are also seen, and the skin beneath is generally thin. Any kind of facial streaking suggests Swiss heritage and so impurity of the goat. Average weight for females is 90kg (200lb) and males 135kg (300lb), and hence Anglo-Nubians are larger than their Nubian ancestor.

Uses

The lactation period for an Anglo-Nubian is much shorter than some other breeds, but when available, the milk is high in butterfat and protein and so is considered "high quality". As a result, it is the most popular dairy goat in the United States, and warmer climates create greater milk yields. The export demand has increased in recent years for this reason, and so interest has also been stimulated in Britain.

Sources
"Goats, A Guide To Management", Patricia Ross
The Glasgow Zoo website
A number of goat websites, providing mostly inaccurate information which I ignored.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.