Ample is also the name of a project by David Härdeman. It stands for AnMP3LEnder.

Freshmeat: Ample is a simple MP3 server written in C.

It allows you to listen to a collection of MP3s on a machine from anywhere you want. You just need some bandwidth and an MP3 client that supports opening a stream from a remote server (such as XMMS, WinAmp etc).

You can run multiple instances of Ample and it runs sweetly in the background as a daemon, or you can wrap it with inetd/xinetd/tcp_wrappers. I have 5 running on my machine, each playing a different playlist. Ample supports some advanced streaming features such as ID3 tag display and random song selection.

http://ample.sourceforge.net

Am"ple (#), a. [F. ample, L. amplus, prob. for ambiplus full on both sides, the last syllable akin to L. plenus full. See Full, and cf. Double.]

Large; great in size, extent, capacity, or bulk; spacious; roomy; widely extended.

All the people in that ample house Did to that image bow their humble knees. Spenser.

2.

Fully sufficient; abundant; liberal; copious; as, an ample fortune; ample justice.

3.

Not contracted of brief; not concise; extended; diffusive; as, an ample narrative.

Johnson.

Syn. -- Full; spacious; extensive; wide; capacious; abundant; plentiful; plenteous; copious; bountiful; rich; liberal; munificent. -- Ample, Copious, Abundant, Plenteous. These words agree in representing a thing as large, but under different relations, according to the image which is used. Ample implies largeness, producing a sufficiency or fullness of supply for every want; as, ample stores or resources, ample provision. Copious carries with it the idea of flow, or of collection at a single point; as, a copious supply of materials. "Copious matter of my song." Milton. Abundant and plenteous refer to largeness of quantity; as, abundant stores; plenteous harvests.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.