Old joke:

Q: Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?

A: Because they're both fuckin' close to water.

Representatives from some major breweries are at a convention in Amsterdam. Sitting at a table in a local pub are representatives from Coors, Strohs, Budweiser, Miller, and Guinness.

A server comes to the table and asks each of the men what they would like to drink. The Coors rep says, "Give me a Coors Light." The Strohs rep drinks Strohs, and the Miller rep has an MGD. The Budweiser rep asks for a Bud Light, and finally the server asks the Guinness representative what he would like to drink.

"I'll have a Coke, please."

The other representatives look at him strangely.

"Wouldn't you like a Guinness?"

The Guinness rep replies, "Well, if you gentlemen aren't drinking beer, then I'm not going to either."
As they say, node what you know.

There is plenty of American beer that is quite good, if not excellent. The problem identified in this node seems to be not with American beer, but with bad American beer.

May I suggest the following as decent brewers of American beers.

Sam Adams

Sierra Nevada

Pyramid

Celis

Saranac

Rogue

Saint Arnold's

Anchor Steam

Red Hook

The list could go on and on.

Dogboy is quite right in that there are a number of superb beers available in the USA: not just some top quality real lagers but darker beers too. The problem is that they are usually only available in America, or even confined to specific regions of America. To me as a Brit, the only American beers to be found in this country are usually big brand-names such as Budweiser, Coors, and Rolling Rock.

Seeing as many Brits take their beer nearly as seriously as the Germans and Belgians do, this provides a very poor impression of American beer. On a recent trip to the States I was overwhelmed to discover Samuel Adams -- without a doubt one of the best lagers I've ever tasted, and almost on a par with proper Czech lager. So my friendly suggestion to those Americans who enjoy "real" beer (and there seems to be an ever-growing number of you), is only ever buy the decent stuff, let the Bud rot on the shelves like the weak flavoured fizzy water it so much resembles, and maybe, just maybe the tastier beers will start to get better distribution.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.