Amelie Mauresmo, from Saint-Germain-en-Laye, is a former world number one ranked tennis player. Born July 05, 1979, she became the fourteenth World No. 1 in women's tennis since computer rankings began back in the 1970s, and the first French player to do the same. She held that ranking for five weeks and has maintained a ranking in the top five ever since. She is currently third.

She is well known for her strong one-handed backhand (rare in women's tennis) and for her muscular physique. Amelie is also well known for coming out to the international press as a lesbian after her upset win against Lindsay Davenport in the 1999 Australian Open semifinal.

Turning pro in 1994, Mauresmo is at the time of writing one of the most dominant women's players around, winning the 2006 Australian Open and 2006 Wimbledon single's titles. So far she has earned $13,002,482 in prize money, and in 2006 won $3,469,727, an average of US$66,725.51/wk.

Her other huge achievement was becoming only the second French woman to reach the Australian Open final since 1922 and only the third Frenchwoman to reach any Grand Slam final since 1968.1


Source
1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelie_Mauresmo

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.