The way this recipe is given here, it is served with a side of sautéed mushrooms with onions and rice pilaf. They are included because they make a good complement to the flavors provided by the chicken. Naturally, this recipe can be prepared without the two side dishes. If that is the case, it might be a good idea to serve the chicken fingers with a dipping sauce like honey mustard or even ketchup. It makes for great party food but takes a while since the chicken needs to be cooked in batches at a time.

Note that this dish contains nuts and, if the side dishes are used, mushrooms. Allergic people beware.


what you'll need: what to do:
  1. Prepare the rice pilaf in whatever manner it needs doing; this could be following the instructions that are on the box or asking your mom to make them for you. Whatever. Just make sure they get done. Keep warm until everything is served.
  2. Slice up the chicken into thin strips and put into a large bowl.
  3. Combine garlic salt, pepper, onion powder, thyme and mustard. Mix by hand to ensure that the meat is fully covered. Set aside.
  4. While marinating, set up the breading mixture by pouring the bread crumbs, almond bits, and parsley flakes into a shallow bowl. Mix until even. Set aside, preferably by the meat mixture for no reason than to set up the assembly line action that will soon happen.
  5. Cut up the mushrooms and onions. The mushrooms should be simply cut in half or sliced into thin mushroomy shapes. The onion should be sliced into thin strips.
  6. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and sauté the minced garlic.
  7. Once the garlic becomes golden and fragrant, throw in the onion strips and cook until transparent. Add the mushrooms, another 2 tablespoons of butter, and a couple dashes of parsley. Lower the heat to simmer and cover, occasionally stirring the mushrooms. While the sautéed mushroom side dish is doing its thing, move on to the chicken.
  8. Add enough olive oil to a pan to cover its bottom (and then some) and let it heat up over a medium flame.
  9. Dredge the proto-chicken fingers through the bread mixture and, when the oil is sufficiently heated, fry those bad boys up. Allow five to seven minutes for each side or until the breaded chicken appears golden. Do this for all of them and drain them of excess oil, thus heralding that aforementioned assembly line action (pick up chicken, bread it, fry it, drain it). I imagine deepfrying may make these chicken fingers yummy and easier to cook up..
  10. The sautéed mushroom side dish should be done midway through the frying. Lifting the lid and being assaulted by steamy garlicky-mushroomy goodness will definitely attest to this fact. When it's done, turn off the heat and keep it covered and on the stove.
  11. Squeeze the lemon half over the chicken fingers, spritzing the mushrooms just a little bit.
  12. Serve the chicken fingers with a 1/4 c of the mushrooms on the side and a serving of the rice pilaf. This makes about 4-5 helpings. Enjoy.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.