An excellent and technically impressive scrolling slash-'em-up on the Sega Master System. Long-time Sega mascot Alex Kidd stars in what is effectively a parody of Shinobi. (In a similar vein to the Konami parodies of Castlevania and Gradius : Kid Dracula and Parodius). Alex's girlfriend has been kidnapped by the Dark Ninja and Alex, with ninja skills granted by the Light Ninja (a kind of chopsocky fairy godmother), has to get the girl and kill the baddies.

All the levels of the original are recreated in a slightly more platformy style, with the exception of the "Mandala" level. The bosses are a fireball breathing fat samurai, a fleet of Opa-Opa style helicopters, a giant Lobster ("Robster"), and the Dark Ninja (who is cool). At the end of the game, Alex gets the girl and the game fades into a sunset.

Alex Kidd is never seen again.

An ancient preview of this game in an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly from 1989 calls the game Shinobi Kidd. The first boss in the game is a large samurai called Kabuto. However, in the preview they showed a screen of the same boss, and he looked all too much like a beloved plumber of which everybody knows. And his name was MARI-OH. MARI-OH. What was Sega thinking? Thank god they changed things around before it got ugly.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.