Formed in Perth in Scotland, Alestorm are a power metal band who produce songs involving pirates and drinking. They consist of Christopher Bowes on vocals and keytarrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Dani Evans on guitar, Gareth Murdock on bass, and Peter Alcorn on drums. Their stuff is anarchic and great fun, even if it starts to get a bit samey after a while, a fact of which the band are aware and indeed, their third album has a song called "Scraping the Barrel" which explains that they don't care and "if ye don't like it, then start your own band!"

Pirate-themed metal isn't exactly new, Running Wild did it back in 1987. But don't tell Alestorm that. Also, Alestorm seem an order of magnitude less conventional heavy metal and more anarchic and suchlike.

The other thing Alestorm sing about is drinking. Indeed, their first album, "Captain Morgan's Revenge" could have its name either being about Henry Morgan the redoubtable Scottish pirate or about Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum. Then there's "Wenches and Mead," which is self-explanatory, and "Buckfast PowerSmash." Well, they are Scottish, what do you expect.

There's not much more I can really say here profitably. Go and listen yourself. Also if someone can explain what the significance of the when Mr Bowes during a recent live show said he'd "kidnap yer girlfriends and rub custard into their nipples" is I'd be grateful for a /msg.

Also, they covered The Wurzels' "I Am A Cider Drinker" and also the Lithuanian entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008, "Wolves of the Sea."


(IRON NODER 2011, 24/30)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.