SECTION 1. QUALIFIED VOTERS. Every citizen of the United States who is at least eighteen years of age, who meets registration residency requirements which may be prescribed by law, and who is qualified to vote under this article, may vote in any state or local election. A voter shall have been, immediately preceding the election, a thirty day resident of the election district in which he seeks to vote, except that for purposes of voting for President and Vice President of the United States other residency requirements may be prescribed by law. Additional voting qualifications may be prescribed by law for bond issue elections of political subdivisions.

SECTION 2. DISQUALIFICATIONS.
No person may vote who has been convicted of a felony involving moral turpitude unless his civil rights have been restored. No person may vote who has been judicially determined to be of unsound mind unless the disability has been removed.

SECTION 3. METHODS OF VOTING; ELECTION CONTESTS.
Methods of voting, including absentee voting, shall be prescribed by law. Secrecy of voting shall be preserved. The procedure for determining election contests, with right of appeal to the courts, shall be prescribed by law.

SECTION 4. VOTING PRECINCTS; REGISTRATION.
The legislature may provide a system of permanent registration of voters, and may establish voting precincts within election districts.

SECTION 5. GENERAL ELECTIONS.
General elections shall be held on the second Tuesday in October of every even-numbered year, but the month and day may be changed by law.


Back - Alaska State Constitution - Next

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.