A 6-voice polyphonic digitally controlled analog synthesizer with a 37-note keyboard. Released in 1988.

The VX600 features 2 syncable VCOs per voice, with sawtooth, triangle, square, pulse and noise waveforms. The filter section cosists of a self-oscillating 4-pole (24dB/octave) low-pass VCF, plus an additional non-resonant high-pass one.
2 LFOs are available on each voice for modulation. They are switchable between sawtooth up/down, triangle and square waves, and offer typical rate, delay and depth controls. Also included are 3 ADSR envelope generators per voice, with extra decay and delay settings. The LFOs and EGs are generated in software, but are said to still be fast enough.

The VX600 features Matrix Modulation, a system introduced in Oberheim's Xpander and Matrix-6/12 synthesizers. This allows extremely versatile routings for the sound generation and processing components, similar to the old modular synth systems. 16 sources (plus 31 MIDI controllers) can be used to modulate any of the 18 destinations.

50 user patches can be stored in the unit's internal memory, along with 40 program patches which store key group and MIDI settings. There are 10 "packet" slots which can each store up to 20 program patches. 20 code memories are also included.
In addition to the 6-voice polyphonic mode, unison and 6-oscillator monophony are available. The synth's MIDI implementation also allows it to be used as a 6-part monophonic multi-timbral machine.
Each voice has it's own individual output. In additional to the normal MIDI in/out/thru and pedal jacks, an external audio input is included. The synth also offers connections for Akai's EVI1000 and EWI1000 wind controllers.

The VX600 uses Curtis chips 3372 (VCF) and 3374 (VCO).

Dimensions/Weight
60.2 (w) x 35 (d) x 11.5cm (h)
8.4kg

Information from several sources around the web, as always.


back to Akai

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.