AHAZIAH
(ay' huh zi' uh) HEBREW: AHAZYA
"Yahweh has grasped"
_______________

Ahaziah ruled the northern kingdom of Israel for only two years, c.850-849 B.C. Like his father and predecessor, Ahab, he angered the Lord by worshipping Baal, the god of his mother Jezebel.

Ahaziah sought to form an alliance with King Jehoshaphat of Judah to revive maritime trade with gold-rich Ophir. Jehoshaphat rejected the offer, and Judah's inexperienced fleet was soon destroyed at Ezion-geber. In his second year as king, Ahaziah fell from an upper window at his palace in Samaria. Severely injured, he sent messengers for an oracle from Baal-zebub, the god of Ekron, but they were stopped by the prophet Elijah. Twice, a 50-man force was met by Elijah, who invoked a "fire come down from heaven" (2 Kg. 1:10) to consume them. Elijah and a third group of 50 men returned to the ailing king. For his impious act of consulting a foreign god, Ahaziah was told by Elijah that he would not recover from his injuries. Having no son, he was succeeded by his brother Jehoram.

{E2 Dictionary of Biblical People}

AHAZIAH2
_______________

The 22-year-old son of King Jehoram of Judah, Ahaziah reigned for only a year, about 842 B.C. Ahaziah joined his uncle Jehoram, king of Israel, in an unsuccessful campaign against King Hazael of Syria at Ramoth-gilead. Wounded in battle, Jehoram went to Jezreel to recover.

As Ahaziah journeyed to visit his uncle, a revolt broke out in the army at Ramoth-gilead. An army officer named Jehu was selected by the prophet Elisha to be anointed king of Israel. Jehu promptly left by chariot for Jezreel to punish Jehoram for his idolatrous ways. Warned by watchmen of Jehu's approach, Jehoram and his nephew Ahaziah rode out to meet the rebel at the property of Naboth. After determining that Jehu meant them harm, Jehoram told Ahaziah to flee. Drawing back his bow, Jehu sent an arrow through Jehoram's heart and the king fell dead in his chariot.

Jehu pursued Ahaziah, who was wounded near Ibleam but managed to reach Megiddo, where he died. His servants took his body to Jerusalem for burial in the royal tomb. Ahaziah is called Jehoahaz in 2 Chronicles 21:17.

{E2 Dictionary of Biblical People}

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.