Αγρων

On the island of Cos lived Eumelus the son of Merops. He had two daughters, Byssa and Meropis, and a son Agron, all of whom were extremely haughty. They lived on an isolated estate, farming and producing excellent crops. In consequence they restricted themselves to worshipping the goddess of Earth and disregarded the other gods. If the girls were invited to a festival of Athena the brother would take it on himself to refuse on their behalf, saying that he disliked women with eyes like those of owls (Athena had eyes of this colour); if they were invited to a festival of Hermes he would say that he disliked gods who were thieves; if it was a feast for Artemis he said that he disliked women who ran by night. In short he sent back nothing but insults. Artemis, Hermes and Athena decided to get their revenge and one evening they all met at the family's house. Athena and Artemis had assumed the appearance of girls, and Hermes that of a shepherd. Hermes invited father and son to a banquet which, he said, the shepherds were giving in honour of Hermes, and he asked them to send Byssa and Meropis to the wood of Athena and Artemis. When she heard the name Athena Meropis began to insult her. She was immediately changed into an owl. Byssa became the bird of Leucothea (a seagull), Eumelas a cow, and Agron a plover.

{E2 DICTIONARY OF CLASSICAL MYTHOLOGY}

Table of Sources:
- Antoninus Liberalis Met. 15

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.