After the overthrow of the Maurya dynasty (c. 184 BC), the imperial throne in Pataliputra (Patna) was occupied by the Senapati Pusyamitra, the founder of the Sunga dynasty. His son, Agnimitra, was appointed Viceroy of Malva and ruled from Vidisa, modern Besnagar in Eastern Malwa, a small village near Bhilsa.

Vidarbha, which had seceded from the Maurya Empire during the reign of one of the weak successors of Asoka, was then ruled by Yajnasena. He imprisoned his cousin Madhavasena, who was a rival claimant for the throne. The sister of Madhavasena escaped to Malva and got admission as a hand-maid, under the name of Malavika to the royal palace. Agnimitra, who had espoused the cause of Madhavasena and sent an army against the king of Vidarbha, fell in love with Malavika and married her.

The Malava army defeated the king of Vidarbha and released Madhavasena. Agnimitra then divided the country of Vidarbha between the two cousins, each ruling on one side of the Varada (modern Wardha). Eastern Vidarbha thus comprised the Wardha, Nagpur, Bhandara, Chanda, Seoni, Chindvada and Balaghat districts. It was bounded on the east by the country of Daksina Kosala (Chattisgad). From the Mahabharata also we learn that the province of Venakata bordered on that of Kosala. The story of Malavika forms the plot of the play Malavikagnimitra, Prince Agnimitra being the hero of this famous drama by India's greatest Sanskrit poet and playwright, Kalidasa.

Upon his father's death, Agnimitra succeeded Pushyamitra Sunga, becoming the second ruler of the Sungas Dynasty. Sudraka Samvat appears to start with Agnimitra. However, Sunga history after Pusyamitra is largely uncertain. Nothing substantial is known about Agnimitra. According to the Puranas, Agnimitra's successors, in genealogical order, were: Sujyestha (or Vasujyestha), Vasumitra, Andhraka (or Bhadraka), Pulindaka, Ghosa, Vajramitra, Bhagavata, and Devabhumi (Devabhuti). If the Puranic account is to be believed, the total tenure of Sunga rule was 112 years, coming to an end about 73 BC.


Interested in naming your son Agnimitra? This might be useful information for you:

Your name of Agnimitra gives you the ability to understand people and to merge conflicting viewpoints to create harmony in association. You dislike facing issues or witnessing hurt feelings. You make friends easily but must guard against becoming involved in the affairs of others or being too easily led. You could do well working with the public giving advice, where you can use your skills in diplomacy in handling people, but where you are not under pressure or required to carry responsibility and make decisions. You find it difficult to make snap decisions and to occupy a leadership position as you lack self-confidence. You dislike heavy manual work; as well, you are inclined to put plans off until forced to take action. You find it difficult to be systematic in business and you dislike budgeting. Without the encouragement of others, you lack the energy, confidence, or initiative required to bring an idea to fruition. This name creates weaknesses in the fluids of the body, kidneys, or glandular system.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.