A race of aliens in Iain Banks' novel Excession. The name "Affront" was applied somewhat humorously by an observer, remarking that the aliens were almost designed in every way to annoy and irritate the Culture. (This is, of course, true, since it is a fiction written by Banks.) In physical terms, the Affronters resemble terrestrial jelly-fish, having evolved in a high-pressure gas-giant-like atmosphere. In cultural and social terms, they are vicious, barbaric, cruel, and savage. Unfortunately for the Culture, they were far too well-established by the time Contact encountered them for any remediation by Special Circumstances.

Af*front" (#), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Affronted; p. pr. & vb. n. Affronting.] [OF. afronter, F. affronter, to confront, LL. affrontare to strike against, fr. L. ad + frons forehead, front. See Front.]

1.

To front; to face in position; to meet or encounter face to face.

[Obs.]

All the sea-coasts do affront the Levant. Holland.

That he, as 't were by accident, may here Affront Ophelia. Shak.

2.

To face in defiance; to confront; as, to confront; as, to affront death; hence, to meet in hostile encounter.

[Archaic]

3.

To offend by some manifestation of disrespect; to insult to the face by demeanor or language; to treat with marked incivility.

How can any one imagine that the fathers would have dared to affront the wife of Aurelius? Addison.

Syn. -- TO insult; abuse; outrage; wound; illtreat; slight; defy; offend; provoke; pique; nettle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Af*front", n. [Cf. F. affront, fr. affronter.]

1.

An encounter either friendly or hostile.

[Obs.]

I walked about, admired of all, and dreaded On hostile ground, none daring my affront. Milton.

2.

Contemptuous or rude treatment which excites or justifies resentment; marked disrespect; a purposed indignity; insult.

Offering an affront to our understanding. Addison.

3.

An offense to one's self-respect; shame.

Arbuthnot.

Syn. -- Affront, Insult, Outrage. An affront is a designed mark of disrespect, usually in the presence of others. An insult is a personal attack either by words or actions, designed to humiliate or degrade. An outrage is an act of extreme and violent insult or abuse. An affront piques and mortifies; an insult irritates and provokes; an outrage wounds and injures.

Captious persons construe every innocent freedom into an affront. When people are in a state of animosity, they seek opportunities of offering each other insults. Intoxication or violent passion impels men to the commission of outrages. Crabb.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.