one of the many street names for the drug most commonly referred to as "ecstasy". mdma, the chemical present in ecstasy, if spelled sideways and wrong, looks almost like adam, kinda. a variation of mdma called mde is referred to as "eve".

The 1st Angel. The giant of light discovered in Antarctica. The information that Adam was confined underground below NERV HQ turned out to be false -- that underground giant was in fact Lilith. The real Adam was the embryo like object brought by Ryoji Kaji from Germany. This was result of humans reducing Adam to an embryonic state after waking it up with the S² theory. The Second Impact appears to have been an effect of this process. The book of Genesis in the Old Testament records that Adam was the first human to be created by God in His image. There are various theories as to the etymology of the word "Adam", among them: "earth", "red" and "create".

Source: The End of Evangelion : Glossary contained within The End of Evangelion - Theatrical Program.

The ADAM computer was introduced in the early 1980's at the same time as the TI, Commodore 64, and Kaypro. The ADAM was an 8 bit computer with a Z80 processor chip, 81 KB of onboard memory, internal cassette data drive, and an attached daisy wheel printer which also housed the power supply for the system. All of these components were interconnected with a series of separate processor chips in the CPU, keyboard, printer and data drive circuitry.

When introduced by Coleco Industries, the system was ready to use right out of the box, whether you bought the stand alone version or the version that attached to your existing ColecoVision game console. The computer system included an built-in word processor, a blank storage tape, BASIC programming, and the Buck Rogers game tape (the game tapes were slightly larger than regular audio tapes but I ended up modifying my tape drive to accept audio tapes as a medium). Shortly after introduction, Coleco added 5 1/4" disk drives, a 300 baud internal modem, a 64 KB memory expander, and numerous new programs such as SmartLogo, ADAMCalc, CP/M 2.2, and other game cassettes and programs. When Coleco dropped the ADAM line in early 1985, third party developers of software and hardware took over. They introduced speech synthesizers, 80 column video, serial/parallel interface cards for faster modems and dot matrix printers, bigger memory cards, larger disk drives and separate power supplies. As the nineties came along, more products were developed along with new software and a new TDOS operating system. Today, there are memory expanders up to 2 MB, serial modem speeds to 9600 baud, clock interface cards, hard drives of MFM, RLL and IDE types accessable to 60 MB, and disk drives to 1.44 MB.

There is also an ADAMSERVE program to "take over" a PC-compatable computer and use its peripherals such as disk drives, printers, etc.

{E2 Dictionary of Biblical People}

ADAM
(ad' em) HEBREW: ADAM
"human being" or "mankind"
_______________

The book of Genesis provides two versions of the creation of the first man, Adam. In the first chapter, a male and female are created "in the image of God" (Genesis 1:27) on the sixth day of creation. Blessed and set above all of the other animals, this pair is given a specific command: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth" (Genesis 1:28). Furthermore, God makes clear that sufficient food has been provided for all living creatures, humans included, in the form of green plants and fruit-bearing trees. The world thus begins without the need to struggle for survival, with all of creation in perfect balance and harmony.

In the second chapter of Genesis, which is apparently based on a different oral tradition, the creation of all heaven and earth was not yet complete when God scooped up some dust from the ground (which had been watered only by a terrestrial mist), shaped a man from it, and brought him to life by breathing into his nostrils "the breath of life" (Genesis 2:7). Perhaps the name Adam originated with the Hebrew word adom, meaning red, because of the color of the clay used to make him, or from adamah, which means earth.

Next, the Creator planted the garden of Eden somewhere "in the east" (Genesis 2:8) and charged his new subject with the task of tilling this fertile paradise, whose flowing stream divided into four great rivers that reached to the corners of the earth - the Pishon, the Gihon, the Tigris, and the Euphrates. The man was granted free use of the garden's fruit trees, with one significant exception: Death was the penalty for eating from the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" (Genesis 2:17).

Concluding that "it is not good that the man should be alone" (Genesis 2:18), God created the world's animals and helpers for the lone human, who was given the privilege and respoinsibility of naming them. When none proved to be a suitable helper for him, however, God put him to sleep, took one of the man's ribs, and used it to form Eve, the first woman. "Therefore," comments the writer of this account, "a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh" (Genesis 2:24).

These two separate versions of Adam's creation contain significant theological points. In the first, the human is created on the same day as the animals but is purposely set apart, infused with the divine spirit, and given dominance over earthly creation. In both, he is given a life of ease and abundance, blessed as the favorite of the Lord God of the universe.

For ancient readers, the next turn in the story is indicated by the very word Adam, since it was frequently used in ancient Hebrew to mean human being or mankind. In other words, the first created human can be seen as a symbol for all mankind. Therefore, when he decides to commit the first sin and suffers the consequences, Adam represents the plight of all humanity in struggling to be worthy of God's love. Before this sin, Adam and Eve lived together happily in a literal paradise, free from pain, hunger, and thirst. Food was abundant, including the fruit of the "tree of life" (Genesis 3:22), which apparently gave them eternal life. There was no need for clothing, and the animals and birds cooperated with the human pair.

Eventually, however, a serpent seduced Eve into breaking God's commandment by eating the fruit of the forbidden tree "in the midst of the garden" (Genesis 2:3) and sharing it with Adam. Instantly, the couple became conscious for the first time that they were naked. Hastily stitching fig leaves together into aprons, terrified by their guilt, they frantically tried to hide from their creator behind the trees of Eden.

When God saw that they had become ashamed of their nakedness, he knew that they had broken his commandment. Punishment was swift and severe not only for Adam and Eve, but also for all humankind to follow them. Yet the sentence of death itself would not be fulfilled at once. Rather, the lot of the woman would be to suffer increased physical anguish in childbirth and subservience to her husband. The man would not have to earn his food by sweat and heavy labor, wresting it from soil that God cursed and made hostile. Both were expelled forever from Eden and barred from access to the tree of life. Mortal existence would henceforth be burdened with tribulation and woe from cradle to grave, when man would return to the very dust from which God had originally created him.

After the moral disaster of Adam's fall, which would define the relationship of humans to God until the coming of Jesus, little more is heard of Adam and his wife in the Scriptures. Their firstborn son, Cain, became history's first murderer, killing his pious younger brother Abel. A third son, Seth, was born when Adam was 130 years old. In the eight centuries that followed before Adam reportedly died at the age of 930, we are told only that he "had other sons and daughters" (Genesis 5:4). After Genesis the only reference to Adam as an individual in the Old Testament is in 1 Chronicles 1:1, where he is placed first in a genealogical table meant to establish the Israelites as God's chosen people.

In the centuries after the Babylonian exile, however, the story of Adam and his sin began to intrigue Jewish thinkers who were trying to understand why God had allowed their nation to suffer defeat and captivity. One result was that some Jewish religious writers began to magnify his glory, even describing him as a second angel. He was thought to surpass ordinary human beings in every conceivable way. Indeed, the very concept of the fall was rejected in favor of the belief that he was actually a heavenly figure who is successively incarnated in human form throughout history. Another trend in this speculative pre-Christian scholarship was very different: a newly explicit stress on the disastrous effect of Adam's sin on all generations to follow him, even suggesting that his fall was the origin of all human evil.

Reflection on the meaning of Adam's fall became even more important to the development of the Christian belief after the death of Jesus. To place his Gospel firmly in the context of traditional Jewish history, Luke traces the ancestry of Jesus back to "Adam, the son of God" (Luke 3:38). There is one other New Testament genealogical reference to the historical Adam in verse 14 of the letter of Jude, the last of the Epistles.

Much more significant, however, is the Christian portrayal of the sinful, fallen Adam symbolically linked with Jesus. Paul in particular saw Adam as the father of the old humanity, as the originator of sin and death. By contrast, Jesus made possible a new humanity. He was superior to Adam because he could prevail over the consequences of sin through the grace of God. If death sprang from Adam because of his act of disobediance in the garden, life now sprang from Jesus because he obeyed the will of God and thus earned the salvation of humankind.

This essential distinction between the first Adam and Jesus as the last Adam is used by Paul to explain the resurrection of all believers. "For as in Adam all die," he wrote, "so also in Christ shall all be made alive" (1 Corinthians 15:22). The comparison helps explain two inherent aspects of resurrection. In the first place, the linkage with Adam's sin and death showed that the soul would have to have a body for its resurrection to take place. Second, the coming of Jesus showed that the body would be new and spiritual rather than the flesh and blood of the old mortality. According to Paul, "The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven" (1 Corinthians 15:47).

{E2 Dictionary of Biblical People}

Humankind was finally facing its extinction. At a liberal estimate there were maybe two thousand or so humans left on Earth scattered around various settlements around the planet, and one balks at estimating the amount that would remain after having subtracted all the sterile and those who had passed breeding age. Of the sterile there were a significant number, usually due to the effect of ionizing radiation that had permanently altered the nature of the planet and everything on it.

The trouble all began in 2163 when environmentalists took it upon themselves to gather every container of nuclear waste on the planet and place it aboard a rocket that was bound for the Sun. As no government could be bothered to assist them in their holy mission their budget was limited and the contract for building the rocket had to be offered to the lowest bidder.

Everybody could see the impending disaster coming from years away but a kind of vertigo compelled them to watch with their fists balled and their teeth cracking with the tension as the rocket exploded while it was still inside Earth's atmosphere. The wind carried the entire cargo of mankind's accumulated nuclear waste to all reaches of the planet. Even the congenitally hostile tribes of the Andaman islands were unable to avoid this one. The nuclear waste rained everywhere and settled into every square inch of soil for good.

Generation by generation the global human population declined in quantum leaps and there was nothing within the power of mankind that could be done against it. Even the Norwegians' seed bank was useless and Dr. Bokanovsky had long since abandoned his research and had spent his remaining few years on synthetic alcohol. Taking pity, the beings from Sirius 4 who had been closely watching Earth's affairs broke their non-interference rule for the first time and condescended to provide mankind with a solution. They would create a seed from which would sprout a new and uncorrupted race of man and provide them with all they needed to build a new Eden on Mars. They would deliver to this seed man a harem of living teratomas, and all would once again be well.

So it came about that the continued survival of the human race now depended on one boy, named Adam. The engineers of this child had taken every pain to purify him of all inherited and acquired effects of radiation poisoning. He was by every measure a practically ideal human. His grandparents had been selected from the healthiest breeding stock available and Sirian genetic engineering technology took care of the rest. His development was closely monitored and not a single flaw in his being was ever noted. In trickles and torrents towards his vast and thirsty ocean he was taught all human knowledge (since his human mind was incapable of comprehending Sirian science the attempt to teach him that would have been futile and it would never occur to a Sirian to act pointlessly). All of mankind's resources had been turned over to the creation and training of Adam. Nobody saw it as a sacrifice. Adam was mankind's pride and joy.

As the sole focal point of mankind's efforts it was inevitable that he would be worshipped as a god, despite his awareness or permission. There had never before been any so-called saviour of mankind who had been able to provide evidence of having a right to that claim. Adam had been specially bred for the purpose and as such was the first to transcend the need for faith. It was impossible not to be moved to devotion towards him.

Now imagine the despair felt when soon after his fifteenth birthday mankind's saviour announced, to no one in particular, that while he was willing to fulfill the rôle that had been thrust on him without ceremony or warning from now on he would continue his work on his own terms. In order to reach his full potential and become what he was expected to be he would have to crush his testicles. Though reluctant he was willing to do whatever was required. Being a saviour was, after all, an enormous responsibility.

His father was aghast. His mother wept as if in mourning. When asked for his reason for such a decision he was unable to provide anything rational. It had come to him in a vision, he explained. This answer was not reassuring. In his vision, he told them, he had been bent double in agony and clutching his genitals. It was clear to him what he must do. With this vision came a sense of absolute conviction beyond earthly doubt (as doubt was for the older, primitive form of man and had evidently caused them more harm than good), a feeling that what he was about to do was the best of all possible courses of action, and a feeling that for a being as uniquely built as he was testicles would serve no purpose except to distract him from his mission with animal lust that he must sublimate one way or another. If his original namesake had been able to generate a wife for himself asexually then this Adam could create an entire race by similar means. The original was an evolved being and therefore inferior in presumably all respects to one who had been built from scratch.

Adam sat back down awkwardly and winced in pain. He clutched his genitals.

Adam's father stared into the distance for several minutes as he mulled over this information. 'You've lost your mind' he finally uttered. 'I'll break your arms and legs!'

Adam's almost supernatural ability to sense and flee danger impelled him to make a run for the door which, unfortunately for Adam, was obstructed by his uncle who carried him in a bear hug back to his father. Though he was far stronger than his uncle his superhuman compassion dictated that he humour his care givers. He stopped resisting and took his beating. This went on for several tedious hours, his father and uncle taking turns on him whenever the other had become exhausted. While one beat him the other pleaded and bargained. As a compromise they suggested that Adam freeze his sperm before crushing his testicles. Adam promised that he would follow their suggestion but through it all he never changed his mind. When it was over and his father and uncle were too tired to give chase he ran out of the door and looked for two suitable stones. Adam pulverized his testicles. He knew he was doing the right thing.

There were still a respectable number of people who continued to worship Adam, including his devoted father who was still not ready to lose hope. Rather than becoming disillusioned with him as their saviour as everyone else's reaction had been they fortified their delusion behind religious fervour. Concerned friends were unable to convince them that Adam was no longer the special being that he once potentially was, he had made himself as useless as any of them. People would risk their lives travelling thousands of miles for a chance to assault him. Though many died in the attempt to penetrate the wall of zealous disciples that surrounded him at all times this did not deter others. But eventually they lost their motivation to try and submitted to their fate such as it was. They were in the same position as they had ever been and it was their own fault that they had indulged in hope.

Within months of crushing his testicles Adam decided that he no longer had the desire to be a saviour. His heart was no longer in it. He announced to all his disciples that they were to start carving their own way without him. All were speechless at first and then began to weep and rend their clothes. His devoted father gingerly approached him.

'What's going on mate?' he asked with gritted teeth.

'I don't know. I just don't feel like it any more' Adam told him.

Adam's father turned purple and clenched his fist. Adam sat down and brought his knees up to hide his face. Adam's father deflated. He shook his head and whispered 'for fuck's sake Adam'.

Life went on as it ever had. The most positive thinking of people took consolation from reminding themselves of what it had been like to have a right to hope for a change. Everyone else found that the same thought had a maddening effect on them and did their best to forget all about the time that the survival of the human race had been a possibility.

If Sirians could smile then those who had continued to observe mankind would have smiled to see this outcome. If they could speak English then they would have said something distantly like the following.

'So who's going to tell them?' said Gyrf (this was not his name).

'It's best to just leave them to it' said Zsalp (nor was this). 'What they don't know can't hurt them. If we were ever going to tell them that there was never going to be a terraformed Mars and a harem of Eves it should have been from the beginning of it or else not at all.'

'Agreed. Fancy seeing how it'll play out?'

'What would be the point? It never gets interesting again after this. Let's call it a day.'

Ad"am (#), n.

1.

The name given in the Bible to the first man, the progenitor of the human race.

2. As a symbol

"Original sin;" human frailty.

And whipped the offending Adam out of him. Shak.

Adam's ale, water. [Coll.] -- Adam's apple.

1. Bot. (a) A species of banana (Musa paradisiaca). It attains a height of twenty feet or more. Paxton]. (b) A species of lime (Citris limetta).

2. The projection formed by the thyroid cartilage in the neck. It is particularly prominent in males, and is so called from a notion that it was caused by the forbidden fruit (an apple) sticking in the throat of our first parent. -- Adam's flannel Bot., the mullein (Verbascum thapsus). -- Adam's needle Bot., the popular name of a genus (Yucca) of liliaceous plants.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.