An organization which runs quiz bowl trivia competition in the U.S., competing with College Bowl and National Academic Quiz Tournaments. According to their website at http://www.inform.umd.edu/StudentOrg/maqt/acf/Welcome.html, they are "a loosely centralized non-incorporated, non-profit organization dedicated to providing low-cost, high-quality academic quiz tournaments. The Federation was started in the summer of 1997 upon the dissolution of a previous organization with the same initials, the Academic Competition Foundation, which sponsored a National championship tournament and a nationwide set of Regional tournaments each year from 1991-1997. The new ACF has adopted these orphaned tournaments and will be running them." Their competitions differ only slightly from those run by their competitors.

ACF competitions have one major difference from their competitors: teams are required to submit a packet (a round of questions) in order to attend a tournament1. Also, ACF strives to have a more academically rigorous style of play than NAQT and CBI.

For reference, here is a list of the top 4 finishers, as well as the hosting school, in both versions of the ACF since the elder's creation in 19912.

    1991: University of Tennessee
  1. Tennessee A
  2. Georgia Tech A
  3. Maryland A
  4. North Carolina State
1992: No tournament
    1993: University of Maryland
  1. Chicago A
  2. Maryland
  3. Harvard A
  4. Harvard B
    1994: University of Maryland
  1. Chicago A
  2. Maryland A
  3. Brigham Young A
  4. Maryland B
    1995: University of Tennessee
  1. Harvard
  2. Georgia Tech A
  3. California
  4. South Carolina
    1996: University of Tennessee
  1. Georgia Tech A
  2. Maryland A
  3. Virginia A
  4. Illinois A
    1997: University of Illinois
  1. Virginia A
  2. Chicago A
  3. Maryland A
  4. Georgia Tech A
    1998: University of Maryland
  1. Virginia
  2. Harvard
  3. Maryland
  4. Oklahoma
    1999: University of Chicago
  1. Chicago A
  2. Maryland A
  3. Illinois A
  4. California
    2000: University of Maryland
  1. Chicago
  2. Illinois
  3. Harvard
  4. Virginia
    2001: University of Michigan
  1. Michigan A
  2. Virginia
  3. Michigan B
  4. Kentucky
    2002: George Washington University
  1. Michigan A
  2. Kentucky
  3. Princeton A
  4. Virginia

1: There are exceptions to this rule. Normally, teams that have not played at that particular level of competition before are not required to submit a packet. Also, if more than one team from a school is attending, then the additional teams are not required to submit packets, but must be blind to packets their main team creates.

2: Many thanks to the Maize Pages for the ACF winners. (http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac/maize/)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.