U.S. National Parks and Monuments

Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site
2995 Lincoln Farm Road
Hodgenville, KY 42748

Abraham Lincoln's parents, Thomas and Nancy Lincoln, settled at Sinking Spring Farm in Kentucky in the fall of 1808; Abraham Lincoln was born soon after, on February 12, 1809, in a log cabin on the farm. The site of Lincoln's birth was designated as a National Park on July 17, 1916. It later became a National Historic Park, and finally, a National Historic Site on September 8, 1959.

Activities/Points of interest
The Memorial Building contains a log cabin dating back to the early 19th century (although research has determined that this cabin is probably not Lincoln's birthplace cabin). Nearby, visitors can tour Knob Creek, the boyhood home of Abraham Lincoln. They can also see Sinking Spring, the natural spring that gave the farm its name, and the remains of the Boundary Oak, the tree which marked the western edge of the farm at the time of Lincoln's birth. In addition, the site offers wildlife and bird watching, nature walks, and hiking.

About the Park

Nearby attractions: Lincoln Statue and Lincoln Museum (downtown Hogdenville)

Hours:
Birthplace and Visitor Center
Memorial Day through Labor Day: 8:00am - 6:45pm;
Labor Day through Memorial Day: 8:00am - 4:45pm.
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Years Day.

Boyhood Home at Knob Creek
Daylight Hours year around; Staffed from April 1 - October 31

National Parks Service website: http://www.nps.gov/abli/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.