ASP is an acronym for Application Service Provider. An ASP is a company that provides a service to another company who would otherwise be forced to perform that service internally. ASP's are particularly popular with applications that require a great deal of technical support, since those technical issues can be handled more efficiently by a specialized company, and since there is a general shortage of IT labor (Information and Technology).

Along with the other definitions, an Asp is a sort of telescoping club. You often see them in police dramas and suchlike; In their compact form, they are cylinders about 40mm in diameter and maybe 120mm long, although I would expect that to vary. When threatened, you take it from your pocket or wherever and shake it sharply. This makes it telescope out and lock, basically giving you a strong metal bar designed to violently beat people, which can give you an advantage in a fight. Extended, they tend to be about 600mm.

See also: ASP Tactical Baton

Asp (#), n. Bot.

Same as Aspen.

"Trembling poplar or asp."

Martyn.

 

© Webster 1913.


Asp (#), n. [L. aspis, fr. Gr. : cf. OF. aspe, F. aspic.] Zool.

A small, hooded, poisonous serpent of Egypt and adjacent countries, whose bite is often fatal. It is the Naja haje. The name is also applied to other poisonous serpents, esp. to Vipera aspis of southern Europe. See Haje.

<-- what is "Ecclus."? Not in the set of references! -->  

© Webster 1913.


Asp"en (#), Asp (#), n. [AS. aesp, aeps; akin to OHG. aspa, Icel. osp, Dan. aesp, Sw. asp, D. esp, G. espe, aspe, aspe; cf. Lettish apsa, Lith. apuszis.] Bot.

One of several species of poplar bearing this name, especially the Populus tremula, so called from the trembling of its leaves, which move with the slightest impulse of the air.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.