ADSR stands for Attack (time), Decay (time), Sustain (level), Release (time). These are the four components of an "industry-standard" envelope.

When a note-on triggers an envelope, the envelope enters its attack stage. Over the time specified by the "attack time" parameter, the envelope output increases to the maximum level.

Once the attack time is up, the envelope begins to decay. Over the time specified by the "decay time" parameter, the output decreases to the level specified by the "sustain level" parameter.

The output remains at the sustain level until a note-off is sent to the envelope, at which point it begins to decrease to zero. By the time the Release time is up, the envelope has reached zero.

Real world examples: a pianoforte's volume envelope would have a very short attack, a long decay, zero sustain, and a short release. An organ's would have very short attack, decay and release values, and a very high sustain level.

So what happens when an envelope is interrupted in mid-stage? Each stage just goes about its business. If the attack is triggered in the middle of a release, the envelope increases from where it left off. If a note-off is encountered during the attack or decay stages, it begins decreasing at the rate required to meet the release time. This is an advantage that parameterized envelopes such as ADSR have over graphical envelopes, which would likely just suddenly skip steps and jump from one value to another.

Also an electronic music band from Ottawa, Ontario Canada who released a trance 12 inch called Obsession. Kinda made its name known in Canada, but a lot bigger in Europe for 6 months with popular remixes.

1 member, Dom Paterson, was involved in the electronic outfit from 1993-1995. ADSR which was signed to Cargo Records out of Montreal, released two albums, Accelerated Emotions and Primary as well as a number of 12 inches and remixes which have been released both domestically and internationally.

During this period France Paterson managed ADSR from New York City where he had been based since 1990 working as a fashion stylist/art director in fashion, music, and advertising. In 1996 they teamed up to work on music together full time with SOMA SONIC.

Back to the Electronic Music Artists metanode

Used extensively in Commodore 64's SID (sound) chip. This gave the commodore machine so much MIDI power at the time that Tim Simone of Bomb the Bass fame used the Commodore 64 to write some of his first hits: Bomb the Bass, Baby don't make me wait.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.