WARNING: blood and gore ahead. Put down your lunch.

These accounts are taken from the book Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine by Gould and Pyle, 1896 (in the public domain). This book is full of fun stories that are told as true but may be apocryphal; I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to judge. Anyway, on to the cattle-horn!

In the introduction they refer to one of their favorite stories from the book, in a way that makes one suspicious of the overconfidence of Victorian physicians...

Remarkable injuries illustrate to what extent tissues and organs may be damaged without resultant death, and thus the surgeon is encouraged to proceed to his operation with greater confidence and more definite knowledge as to the issue. If a mad cow may blindly play the part of a successful obstetrician with her horns, certainly a skilled surgeon may hazard entering the womb with his knife.

The authors really enjoy this story. They even hypothesize that Macduff was "from his mother's womb untimely ripp'd" by... cattle-horn. Anyway, here is the cattle-horn story as they tell it:

Pigne speaks of a woman of thirty-eight, who in the eighth month of her sixth pregnancy was gored by a bull, the horn effecting a transverse wound 27 inches long, running from one anterior spine to the other (ie, from her backbone all the way around her waist to the other side of her backbone). The woman was found cold and insensible and with an imperceptible pulse. The small intestines were lying between the thighs and covered with coagulated blood. In the process of cleansing, a male child was expelled spontaneously through a rent in the uterus. The woman was treated with the usual precautions and was conscious at midday. In a month she was up. She lived twenty years without any inconvenience except that due to a slight hernia on the left side. The child died at the end of a fortnight.

A similar case from 1647 is illustrated with an engraving of a bull tossing a woman up into the air, with a baby simultaneously falling down.

There are other stories:

Carhart describes the case of a pregnant woman, who, while in the stooping position, milking a cow, was impaled through the vagina by another cow. The child was born seven days later, with its skull crushed by the cow's horn. The horn had entered the vagina, carrying the clothing with it.

There are some marvelous cases of recovery and noninterference with pregnancy after injuries from horns of cattle.

I think we'll pass on the rest of those. Most involve abdominal injuries in which intestines leave the body and are returned, occasionally with the use of anaesthetic.

Gould and Pyle also relate tales of cesarean by ox, by cannonball, and after death.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.