Darren had been idling for five minutes, staring blankly at the pink flyer, alerted to the passage of time only by the gradual heat growing on his knuckles. Frustrated, he stubbed his cigarette out against the grimy wooden paneling and turned back to the leaflet. The feeling of apprehension he had tried to ignore the ensuing week had begun to bloom, instinctively he began to reach for his pack, before a wave of nausea made him reconsider. Only three days, three days and one telephone call since setting the event up. It had been so long since he had appeared at something like this, so long since he'd been in front of people. On the other side of the parking lot, unbeknownst to Darren, a pickup truck with a horse-shipping trailer attached is quickly ushered behind the old community center.

 Darren left his car, and began walking toward the community center when a shrill animal wail tore him from his distraction. He had been thinking, as he had been all day, about the autograph signing at the Lake Quaker mall. The ten or nine parents with kids who showed up, the beer money he'd made. The strange offer was made by a kind older man; a man who, no matter how polite he had tried to be, clearly had no idea who Darren was. 'Join us! Tuesday night 7-10, York Community center, a fundraiser for the troops featuring former wrestling legend Dr. Darren Muscle!' Darren hoped the all-consuming shame he had felt since receiving the flyer would dissipate once he saw the crowds, or the kids or anyone legitimately happy to see him. So it was to great disappointment he found, walking through the dusty, sticky halls of the community center, that it was utterly devoid of life.

The building reminded Darren of his old school, wooden paneling so dulled and scuffed with age, worn and treated and re-treated so many times that it had taken on a rubbery uneven texture, the sensation traveled through the soles of his shoes, and made him aware of each step he took. Desperately casting glances into rooms he passed by, the sickly sensation of nostalgia drained away, leaving him alone with his unease and discomfort. Behind him, suddenly a presence, a voice, he was cognizant of conversation but found it impossible to recall what was said, when, or by whom.

He was whisked, in an instant, past the stage and bleachers, filled with moving shapes, smiling faces, and found himself in a back room, him and the kindly man from the other day. "We are very happy to have you here."

"Sure..." Darren felt an intense unease, and suddenly found it difficult to make eye contact with the older gentleman, was this really the same man as before?

"I was fortunate, to have seen your event at the sports shop I mean, everyone is so happy you're here. We are so happy you're here."

 Darren found it difficult to respond, pangs of shame and impotent rage consumed him. "Is that so?"

"Dr.Muscle, how did you settle on that anyway, I’m sure it must be an interesting story..."

A long, tense silence ensued; interrupted finally with the older mans continuation. "You know, this is a very special, and important opportunity… for you."

"Yeah."

 The older man, loosing instantly all his joviality, dropped his head to the level of Darren's, and in a slow, serious tone asked. "Darren, Do you know how important this is for you?" Again, a long silence began, Darren now overcome with shame, inadequacy, hate, had to bite his lip to keep from sobbing, a single hot tear cascaded down his cheek. "Yes..." The older man smiled. "Yes...?"

"Yes... I know how important this is for me."

The older man took a moment to observe the reaction, before turning to leave. "Whenever you're ready, Darren." A blinding light and cacophonous roar paralyzed him the moment he stepped out onto the stage, he grimaced and blundered forward, before suddenly being overcome by a terrible odor. Half blinded by the stage lights he staggered forward, something was slick beneath his shoes, wincing he was able to open his eyes just barely, before collapsing to the stage and vomiting. Directly beneath him, on the floor before the stage, lay a thick and stinking pile of blood and meat. A few long bones protruded, haphazardly from the assemblage of flesh and gore, the red mound piled high before him. As he crouched in a pile of his vomit, he was able, between gasps and sobs, to discern two mounted, unmanned cameras, and bleachers filled with dismembered limbs, hard plastic bodies in shades of taupe and tan were scattered amongst the seats, mannequin heads and hands lay haphazardly, empty eyes staring back at him, and shallow depressions of mouths screaming laughter. He detected, hidden in a corner by the stage, the butchered and leaking remains of a horse, and the nightmarish scent of blood and shit filling his senses.

 At this point he was too overwhelmed to perceive the form of the older man behind him, once a humble five foot six now a daunting, bloodied form, the fresh and bleeding head of a horse affixed atop his own.

 "To give hope, and to take it back is as much of the divine will as providing life. It ends in death as hope ends in frustration. We make oblations of our hope, of our ignorance of our cleaving to phenomenal reality. Our offering is not of flesh, but of form, mind and intention. And our intent is the salvation of sentient beings, as we are given life to suffer through samsara, and find salvation only in its passing, we have initiated this man into hope, and into your graces."

 Darren, now suffocating on his vomit, opened his eyes and began to writhe on the stage, his gnarled fingers, like branches, against the dripping figure towering before him. He gasped a final plea before a violent collision knocked him unconscious, blood draining from a gash above his eye.  The figure continued: "We all seek freedom from the psychic affliction of this realm, the confinements of morality, Haya! Grivya! I beseech you Tamrin Sangrup, accept this, and all that follow, and look upon our efforts kindly." Darren had died seconds before the man had finished, his stomach was opened and handfuls of fat removed, the man turned a final time to the camera, and dropping the mounds of bloody fat before him, intoned

"As I have added butter to the burning flames of sacrifice, I urge you who see these images to deny your heretical views, and stoke the flames of the light of truth, to burn away the shroud of ignorance. Aum Mani Padme Phat!"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.