Perhaps the oddest idea for a farewell album that was ever conceived. " A People's History of The Dismemberment Plan," the final official release from the incredible Washington, D.C based four-piece rock act The Dismemberment Plan was a twelve track CD that was simply hardcore fans remixing old Plan songs. And yet, it was released as an official DPlan CD.

The CD is almost entirely remixes of tracks from their two best albums, and their two last studio albums. Emergency & I, released in 1999 and Change, released in 2001. It does include a remix of "Academy Award", which was on their 1997 album The Dismemberment Plan is Terrified.

Even if you find the idea to be ridiculous (some Plan fans found it downright blasphemous) this album should be respected for two reasons. For one, it could very well get a big indie rock fan into techno...or vice versa. And for two, many acts have done remix albums, Nine Inch Nails, Linkin Park and Jennifer Lopez for example.

Yet the Plan weren't exactly LP, NIN or...J.Lo. A band frequently labeled as indie rock releasing a remix album is crazy enough as it is. Yet an indie rock act having a remix album, done by the people no less...as their final album is something worth noting.

A People's History of The Dismemberment Plan was released by DeSoto Records on October 6th, 2003. A little over a month after The Plan played their final show at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. The track list is as follows:

1. The Face of the Earth (remixed by Parae)
2. What Do You Want Me To Say? (remixed by Drop Dynasty)
3. Academy Award (remixed by Cex)
4. Following Through (remixed by Cynyc)
5. The Other Side (remixed by Justin Norvell)
6. A Life of Possibilities (remixed by Quruli/Noise McCartney)
7. Pay For The Piano (remixed by Grandmaster Incongruous)
8. Time Bomb (remixed by ASCDI)
9. Automatic (remixed by Deadverse)
10. The City (remixed by Ev)
11. The Jitters (remixed by Ender)
12. Superpowers (remixed by Erik Gundel)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.