A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) - Weasello Rating: {>>--} (So-So) {{ Prequel | Sequel }}
Please note that this review is laden with spoilers.

Freddy Injury Count: Freddy, as a giant rubber-neck or snake-like being, is stabbed in the eye, stabbed in the armpit, zapped with elf-powered-magic, kicked in the neck, clubbed twice, and impaled. But wait, there's more. He then proceeded to have his ears nearly burst by a woman's scream, he is stabbed with his own glove, then dies in a dazzle of special effects. Apparantly his own glove is the worst injury he incurred.

Body count: 5, with 1 implied death. Freddy can't seem to achieve Jason's level. If one were to add up all three of his first movies, he would come close. There were, however, dozens and dozens of supposedly dead bodies hanging from the rafters in one of the dream sequences. It is implied that these are Freddy's kills.

Plot Outline: Freddy is back! And no, not some kid-posessed with Freddy... But Freddy himself! This is the first movie where he is actually called "Freddy" instead of "Fred." It's about time!

In this movie, Freddy is back to tormenting kids in their dreams. All the kids on Elm Street are sent to a "dream hospital" for therapy - but they seem to be sharing group hallucinations. Freddy slowly starts killing them off one by one!

It turns out that each kid has a magical superpower in their dreams. These on their own are funny enough to qualify the watching of the movie. Things like turning into a magician and zapping people, becomming an 80's punk ass-kicker, or even being supra-strong.

The star and sole survivor of the first movie, Nancy, is back too - being the kid's helping hand in their dreams.

The ghost of Freddy's mom (as is revealed at the end of the movie) revealed Freddy's origins to the audience as well. In the same dream-institution, in the abandoned wing, they had a certain cell block devoted to the world's worst criminally insane. No maximum security prison, just a communal room behind a locked door. One night, a young nurse was accidentally locked in the cell, and she was found nearly dead the next morning, being raped by over 100 criminals. She was pregnant... and Freddy turned out to be "the bastard son of 100 maniacs."

My Opinion: Other than this whole movie and the kids powers reminding me of the Care Bears, this movie wasn't half bad. It was only one quarter bad. I recommend this over all other movies in the first 4 of the series.

Interesting Notes:
  • This is the first movie where Freddy got some "cheezy" lines, making his kills more humorous - and Robert Englund was given chances to improv in almost every kill scene.
  • This movie sports a claymation Freddy! Go claymation, go!
  • The origional VHS version of this movie sports a pre-show music video! In all of it's hardcore 80's video glory! Some scenes of the movie are very comically spliced in. I loved it.
  • This movie was Banned twice in Sweden (running time 93 and 92 min). Finally passed at 90 min in 1988.
Fun Quotes!
  • "Welcome to Prime Time, Bitch!" - Freddy's first Improv line, spoken just before shoving a girl's head into a television. The original line was (sadly) "You're on TV now, girl!"
  • "Let's go kick the motherfuckers ass all over dreamland!" - This is just too funny.
  • "I said, 'Where's the fucking bourbon?'" - Looks like Freddy's turning into a heavy drinker. I hope he doesn't get more messed up than he already is.
Lead roles: Directed by: Chuck Russell

Writing credits: Wes Craven

Tagline: Sleep. Those little slices of death. How I loathe them. - Edgar Allen Poe
Sources: The oh-so-wonderful IMDB, my head, and the box.

Clinical Ineptitude in A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

 

In this third installment of the story of supernatural killer Freddy Krueger, the last remaining Elm Street children are amassed at a mental hospital. Below are the litany of clinical faux pas carried out during the movie. They are listed by time of occurrence.

00:09:30 The orderly Max is seen wheeling a cart of medication cups down the hall. This method of dispensing medication denotes a lack of proper supervision.

00:11:20 Dr. Neil attempts to sedate Kristen. It is hard to believe that a psychiatrist could perform an injection (something he probably hasn't done since medical school), on a hysterical patient without severe injury to both parties.

00:16:15 Kristen's family interview is conducted by Nancy, an intern, at the patient's home. It is customary for interns to be accompanied by their supervisor during their first few interviews.

00:17:17 Nancy goes into Kristen's room unescorted, and finds the ugliest 80's wallpaper imaginable. Ick.

00:21:38 At Nancy's apartment a model of Kristen's is in the background. This item being at her home represents a trespass of the classical patient/Doctor relationship.

00:22:31 Kristen waits for Nancy in the Doctor's office. She should not be in this area alone, where files on others and herself are kept.

00:26:47 Will and Joey have just finished a role-playing game with Taryn (why is a female patient in their room?). After Max comes in for lights out, they agree on sleeping shifts. The staff should most certainly perform night checks on patients with sleeping disorders.

00:33:14 The group therapy session following Phillip's death has no steering by the hospital staff. When Kincaid freaks out, Nancy, Dr. Neil, and Dr. Simms have an argument in front of the patients. Mental patients are notorious for their ability to exploit weaknesses, making it necessary to always put up an allied front in their presence.

00:35:45 Max leaves Jennifer alone in the break room after lights out, even though the entire ward is supposed to be on lockdown. Lockdowns are imposed for the safety of the patient, and this action puts her in danger. Then, the television comes to life, and kills her. Televisions should not do this.

00:36:50 The orderly Lorenzo flirts with Taryn and offers her drugs.

00:43:35 Nancy and Dr. Neil hold an unofficial group session, and undergo group hypnosis without proper procedure. Hypnosis has the potential to deeply damage a patient's progress, if shoddily applied.

00:48:45 Joey goes into a coma, as a result of the hypnosis. Nancy and Dr. Neil are relieved of duty, but in this scene she is sitting by his bed at the hospital, talking to him.

01:06:15 Nancy pleads with Max to see the patients one last time, to say goodbye. She then provides another unauthorized bout of group hypnosis.

01:14:30 More 80's wallpaper.

The rest of the film takes place in the dream, and in the junkyard, where Freddy is defeated for good. Or is he?


Ugh. Does anyone have standards anymore?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.