Hashem is here, Hashem is there
Hashem is truly everywhere
Up up, down down
Right, left and all around
Here, there and everywhere
Hashem can be found

... rinse and repeat

The tedious and incessant repetition of this song in preschool/kindergarten can be (mis?)construed by some as brainwashing.

I actually remember this song quite fondly. I went to a Chabad House preschool for a year, because when I was four, my family happened to move to a new city in September, and it was too late to find an opening any where else. So every day, I would come home and my parents would deprogram my little four-year-old self away from Chabad-Lubavitch Chasidism back towards being a good non-fundamentalist Reform Jew. In particular, I remember that around Pesach they had to spend a great deal of time explaining that we didn't hate all the Egyptians, that that had been thousands of years ago, and that Anwar Sadat, a president of Egypt had died because he was a friend to Israel. This song was one of the few elements of the education that they thought was valuable. I agree. I know plenty of people who became disillusioned with religion and God, because when they were four they were told that God was this old man with a beard who lived in the sky. I'll take 'God is everywhere' over that any day of the week.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.