Welcome to a sort-of metanode! My first, so when you talk about this, and you will ... be kind.

The 80s music scene was wonderfully diverse, and when I look back on the soundtrack of my life, I find some, ahem, rather seminal songs that contributed to my coming out. I'm including them here, and will add to it from time to time. All of the songs listed below have or had some meaning to me as a gay man, or a queer youth, but besides that, they're some pretty awesome songs in their own right.

So, without further ado, here's da list, sorted by artist:

Animotion

  • Obsession

    Bronski Beat

  • Smalltown Boy

    Depeche Mode

  • Sea of Sin
  • Boys Say Go!
  • What's Your Name?
  • The Meaning of Love
  • Shame
  • Lie to Me
  • A Question of Time
  • Stripped
  • Never Let Me Down Again
  • I Want You Now
  • Pleasure, Little Treasure

    Duran Duran

  • Wild Boys

    Eurythmics

  • Love Is A Stranger
  • I've Got An Angel
  • Who's That Girl?
  • Would I Lie To You?
  • Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves
  • Missionary Man

    Honorary (non 80s) Songs

  • More Effeminate Than You

    Did 80s music help you come out of the closet? If so, node the lyrics then add your list here. Y'never know ... 500 years from now, when everything has become sentient, it just might help someone else out.

    I've considered deleting this node because noding lyrics has long fallen by the wayside. However, the sentiment of the node, that the music of the eighties contributed to a huge portion of my experiences as a young gay man, remains. Thus while many of the links in the node go nowhere I hope you derive amusement from the node itself.

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.