This cake comes out smooth and professional looking (and tasting) no matter how cooking-incompetent you are, provided you follow these directions and don't use a lopsided pan that makes the cake higher on one side (oops). It can be dusted with very thin white icing and shredded coconut if desired, but it is plenty sweet and somewhat lemony just the way it is.

Ingredients:

3 sticks margarine
3 cups sugar
3 heaping cups flour
5 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup 7Up

Melt the margarine a little bit and mix it together with all of the sugar. Now add one egg, then a cup of flour, then two more eggs, then another cup of flour, then one more egg, then the last cup of flour, then the last egg. (The purpose here is to mix it thoroughly after each addition so that no ingredients get lumped into one section of the mix.) Beat the entire mixture well until it is smooth, then add the two extracts and finally the 7Up. It will froth as you mix it in. This is a good thing.

Bake in a greased and floured pan at 300ºF for about an hour and fifteen minutes or until a knife comes out clean. The cake should look slightly yellow-brown on the top and quite yellow inside, and beware--it is addictive.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.