Telephone relay service (TRS) access number. Allows hearing impaired people to use a teletype machine to call those who do not have one. The TRS operator speaks for the hearing impaired person, and relays the other person's speech to the hearing impaired person in text.

TRS is currently obsolete due to the widespread use of e-mail, and many telephone companies are phasing this service out.
Actually, 711 and Telecommunications Relay Services are far from obsolete, in fact it was only on October 1, 2001 that 711 service became mandatory for all state relays. A free service, 711 replaces the dozens of toll-free numbers relay service users used to have to dial to connect. The FCC's rule establishing mandatory 711 also suggests that PBX suppliers also configure their systems to accept the code. Obviously, TRS programs are not being phased out, but rather continue to be federally mandated. While fax, e-mail, and other written telephone-based communications have become very popular among the deaf, most still use relay services on a daily basis. For example, it is still faster and more reliable to call the relay and order a pizza than to try online food ordering services. Also, because of discrimination in employment, many deaf individuals make up to 40% less than their hearing counterparts and are more likely to be able to afford a TTY before a computer. Despite the availability of 711, it is still vitally important that TTY users continue to dial 911 for emergency services. Operators there are trained to recognize TTY signals, and some locations may have equipment to automate that recognition process.

Sources: http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/News_Releases/2001/nrcc0138.html and personal knowledge

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.