.308 inches or a .308 caliber.. usually referred to in the military or police theater as a 7.62 x 51 mm NATO round or the 7.62x39 mm Soviet round. Automatic rifles chambered for the longer NATO version are usually called Battle rifles, while the Russian 7.62x39 mm round is generally considered in the same field as assault rifles.

A very versatile caliber used in many battle rifles and sniper rifles. It is Jhrulith's caliber of choice for long distances. My forgetful friend here(Jhrulith) has also forgotten the 7.62x54 Russian round, which is rimfire, and has pretty good range on it as well.

The Russian 7.62mmx54 round is rimmed, but is not a rimfire cartridge; it has a centerfire primer. Eastern bloc versions are generally steel case and Berdan primed. --Ed.

Jhrulith and Reod Dai seem to have misunderstood the meaning of the word caliber. 7.62 mm is the diameter between the grooves in a rifle barrel. So, the caliber of two very different cartridges -- 7.62 x 51 mm NATO and .300 Winchester Magnum is the same: 7.62 mm, but the latter cartridge has a much larger muzzle velocity and kinetic energy.

Other cartridges of the 7.62 mm / 0.3 inch caliber family are

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.