"(b) (1) The Secretary of Defense may not conduct any test or experiment involving the use of any chemical or biological agent on civilian populations unless local civilian officials in the area in which the test or experiment is to be conducted are notified in advance of such test or experiment, and such test or experiment may then be conducted only after the expiration of the thirty-day period beginning on the date of such notification."

Remember, August is Get to Know Your Mayor Month

This section of the US Code has been repealed. It has apparently been replaced by a new section 1520a, excerpted here:

(a) Prohibited activities
The Secretary of Defense may not conduct (directly or by contract) -

  • (1) any test or experiment involving the use of a chemical agent or biological agent on a civilian population; or
  • (2) any other testing of a chemical agent or biological agent on human subjects.

(b) Exceptions
Subject to subsections (c), (d), and (e) of this section, the prohibition in subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a test or experiment carried out for any of the following purposes:

  • (1) Any peaceful purpose that is related to a medical, therapeutic, pharmaceutical, agricultural, industrial, or research activity.
  • (2) Any purpose that is directly related to protection against toxic chemicals or biological weapons and agents.
  • (3) Any law enforcement purpose, including any purpose related to riot control.

. . .

"Senator, I can explain. We were dealing with a riot control situation, and it was only a test."


Reference:
United States Code. 23 Jan. 2000. http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ (15 Aug. 2001).

In (b)(2), above, it says that experimentation on human subjects may be done if for protection against biological warfare. Sound familiar to you, as in the anthrax "vaccination"?

One of the things that has always bothered me about the US government was its continuous use of experimentation on unsuspecting folks. When the military first started giving us the anthrax vaccine, they refused to tell us what it was. They sent some med-techs out to give us shots, even though it wasn't flu season. When I asked what it was, the guy pulled out a card that said, "If asked what this is, tell them that this is only a flu shot." He then winked at me and said he couldn't lie to me, so he couldn't speak the words. I was taking Digoxin for my heart condition at the time, and he said they didn't know if it would react with the "flu vaccine", so they let me get off without the shots. About a year later, the truth came out. Luckily, I was honorably discharged from the Navy before it became required.

Look further back, and you'll see the radiation experiments on kids and military folks. There's such a big loophole in this US code that you can get away with almost anything.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.