This is a recipe from PiHKAL. If you're interested in how the hardlinks were chosen, read noding PiHKAL for Everything2.


#21 3C-BZ

4-BENZYLOXY-3,5-DIMETHOXYAMPHETAMINE


SYNTHESIS: A solution of 268 g 2,6-dimethoxyphenol and 212 g allyl bromide in 700 mL dry acetone was treated with 315 g anhydrous K2CO3 and held at reflux for 16 h. The solvent was removed under vacuum, and the residue dissolved in H2O and extracted with 3x100 mL CH2Cl2. The pooled extracts were washed with 5% NaOH, then with H2O, and the solvent removed under vacuum. The residue, which weighed 245 g, was stirred and heated in an oil bath to 230 °C at which point an exothermic reaction set in. The heating was maintained at 230 °C for 0.5 h, and then the reaction mixture distilled. There was obtained a total of 127 g of 5-allyl-1,3-dimethoxy-2-hydroxybenzene as a colorless distillate, that was identical in all respects to natural 5-methoxyeugenol obtained from Oil of Nutmeg.

A solution containing 40.4 g 5-methoxyeugenol and 26.6 g benzyl chloride in 65 mL EtOH was added, all at once, to a hot and well stirred solution of 11.7 g KOH in 500 mL EtOH. The potassium salt of the phenol crystallized out immediately. By maintaining reflux conditions, this slowly redissolved, and was replaced by the steady deposition of KCl. After 6 h, the reaction mixture was cooled, and the solids removed by filtration. The filtrate was stripped of solvent under vacuum to give 57 g of crude 5-allyl-2-benzyloxy-1,3-dimethoxybenzene. This was dissolved in a solution of 60 g KOH in 80 mL EtOH and heated on the steam bath for 16 h. The reaction mixture was quenched in 500 mL H2O, and extracted with 2x200 mL CH2Cl2. Removal of the solvent under vacuum gave 35.6 g of crude 2-benzyloxy-1,3-dimethoxy-5-propenylbenzene.

To a stirred, ice-cold solution of 33.6 g of the above impure 2-benzyloxy-1,3-dimethoxy-5-propenylbenzene and 13.6 g pyridine in 142 mL acetone, there was added 24.6 g tetranitromethane. After stirring for 3 min, there was added a solution of 7.9 g KOH in 132 mL H2O, followed by additional H2O. The oily phase that remained was H2O washed, and then diluted with an equal volume of MeOH. This slowly set up to yellow crystals, which were removed by filtration and washed sparingly with MeOH. There was obtained 9.2 g 1-(4-benzyloxy-3,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitropropene with a mp of 84-85 °C. An analytical sample, from EtOH, had a mp of 86-87 °C.

To a refluxing suspension of 5.5 g LAH in 360 mL anhydrous Et2O under an inert atmosphere, there was added 8.6 g 1-(4-benzyloxy-3,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitropropene by letting the condensing Et2O leach out a saturated solution from a modified Soxhlet condenser. The addition took 1.5 h and the refluxing was maintained for an additional 4 h. After cooling, the excess hydride was destroyed by the cautious addition of 330 mL of 1.5 N H2SO4. The aqueous phase was heated up to 80 °C, filtered through paper to remove a small amount of insoluble material, and treated with a solution of 8 g picric acid in 150 mL boiling EtOH. Cooling in the ice chest overnight gave globs of the amine picrate, but no clear signs of crystallization. These were washed with cold H2O, then dissolved in 5% NaOH to give a bright yellow solution. This was extracted with 3x150 mL CH2Cl2, the solvent removed under vacuum, the residue dissolved in 300 mL anhydrous Et2O, freed from a little particulate material by filtration through paper, and then saturated with hydrogen chloride gas. There was thus obtained, after filtering, Et2O washing and air drying, 2.5 g 4-benzyloxy-3,5-dimethoxyamphetamine hydrochloride (3C-BZ) as a white solid with a mp of 161-164 °C.

DOSAGE: 25 - 200 mg.

DURATION: 18 - 24 h.

QUANTITATIVE COMMENTS: (with 25 mg) I went into an emotionally brittle place, and for a while I was uncomfortable with childhood reminiscences. The seeing of my family's Christmas tree in my mind was almost too much. I cried.

(with 50 mg) The action is distinct--wakeful--alerting and wound up. Hypnogogic imagery, and I could not sleep at night with my mind doing many uncontrolled, tangential, busy things. I had fleeting nausea early in the process.

(with 100 mg) I took this in two portions. Following 50 milligrams I was aware of a slight light-headedness at a half-hour, but there was little else. At 1 1/2 hours, I took the second 50 milligrams and the augmentation of effects was noted in another half hour. The experience quietly built up to about the fifth hour, with some erotic fantasy and suggestions of changes in the visual field. I could not sleep until the twelfth hour, and my dreams were wild and not too friendly. There was no body threat from this, but I was not completely baseline until the next day. I am not too keen to do this again--it lasts too long.

(with 100 mg) No effects.

(with 150 mg) This is in every way identical to 100 micrograms of LSD.

(with 180 mg) I can compare this directly to TMA which was the material I took last week. Many similarities, but this is unquestionably more intense than the TMA was at 200 milligrams. It is hard to separate the degree of impact that this drug has, from the simple fact that it lasts forever, and I was getting physically tired but I couldn't sleep. There is some amphetamine-like component, more than with TMA.

EXTENSIONS AND COMMENTARY: Two points are worthy of commentary; the potency and the promise of 3C-BZ.

As to potency, there is such uncertainty as to the effective dose, that it is for all intents and purposes impossible to predict just what dose should be considered for a person's first time with this. The choice of quotations was made with the intention of giving a picture of this scatter. A total of ten subjects have explored this compound, and the very broad range given above, 25 to 200 milligrams, reflects the degree of variation that has been encountered.

Which is a shame, because the concept of a new ring such as is found here on the 4-position would have allowed an extremely wide array of substituents. Electron-rich things, electron-poor things, heavy things, light things, and on and on. This could have been a location of much variation, but it is a possibility that the uncertainties of dosage might extrapolate to these novel ring substitutions as well. Only a single variation was made, the 4-fluorobenzyl analogue. This was prepared following exactly the procedure given here for 3C-BZ, except for the replacement of benzyl chloride with 4-fluorobenzyl chloride. The allyl intermediate was an oil, but the propenyl isomer gave solids with a melting point of 59-60 °C from hexane. The nitrostyrene was a yellow crystalline solid from methanol with a melting point of 98-99 °C. The end product, 3,5-dimethoxy-4-(4-fluorobenzyloxy)amphetamine hydrochloride (3C-FBZ) was a white solid with a melting point of 149-150 °C. It has been assayed only up to 4 milligrams and there was absolutely no activity of any kind observed at that level.


Back to PiHKAL?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.