The 32th Signal Battalion (Airborne) is an Airborne Signal unit under the 35th Signal Brigade (Airborne) in Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

The 327th Signal Support Battalion was officially activated on 30 June 1952 at Tampa, Florida, in the United States Army Reserve Corps. During the period from activation to its eventual inactivation on 7 July 1959, the battalion would deploy to Fort Gordon, Georgia during its annual two week training period.

The battalion would remain inactive for a period of eight years during which time it was withdrawn from the Army reserve and allotted to the Regular Army. Soon after being allotted to the Regular Army, it was reactivated on 1 August 1967 at its current home at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

The battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 16 September 1980 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 327th Signal Battalion (Support). Concurrently, the 416th Signal Company was reorganized and redesignated as Company A, and the 221st Signal Company was redesignated as Company B, 327th Signal Battalion. The 514th Signal Company (TROPO) was also assigned to the battalion but retained its numerical identity.

As a result of the vision of Brigadier General Bob Gray, the 327th Signal Battalion (Support) was reorganized and officially designated the 327th Signal Battalion (Airborne) on 15 September 1989.

Under its new Living Table of Organization and Equipment (LTOE), the 327th Signal Battalion’s mission is to provide tactical communications support for the XVIII Airborne Corps Main Command Post as well as the 1st Corps Support Command (COSOM) forward command post. As a result of this new mission, 240 of its 631 authorized positions are now paid parachute positions.

Although the 327th Signal Battalion (Airborne) has no combat campaign credits, its TSC-60 radio platoon participated in the 1983 Grenada invasion and a number of its battalion members were handpicked to deploy with the invasion force to Panama in 1989. Additionally, Company A participated in four combat campaigns during World War II for which it was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation. Company B received the same award for its participation in 12 combat campaigns during the Vietnam War.

Despite its brief history, the 327th Signal Battalion (Airborne) has a proud tradition of providing extremely reliable and dependable tactical communications. Also, the unique combination of its new mission and airborne status, added to the Nighthawk spirit, make it a battalion for the New Millenium.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.